Northeastern University

Page Content   Main Links   Local Links   Utility Links   Footer Links

Bouvé College of Health Sciences at Northeastern University

School of Pharmacy

Continuing Pharmacy Education Frequently Asked Questions

Northeastern University Bouve College of Health Sciences School of is an accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. We deliver live, online and enduring programs for pharmacists. Co-sponsor of our programs include the pharmaceutical industry, pharmacy professional organizations, medical communications companies, other colleges of pharmacy and other healthcare providers.

What is a podcast?
Podcasting is a web-based broadcast medium that will enable our users to easily download our CE activities in MP3 format. A podcast is a document which contains items with web links to longer versions of audio or video files placed on the Internet for anyone to subscribe to. Media files are made available online thus allowing software to automatically detect and download new files. A podcast is comparable to an audio magazine subscription in that the subscriber receives regular programs that he/she can listen to at his/her own leisure. Most podcast receiver software allows users to schedule their downloads.

How many hours of CE do I need to maintain my license in Massachusetts?
A registrant seeking renewal of a personal registration must complete a minimum of 1.5 CEUs (15 contact hours) each calendar year of the two-year renewal cycle. Of the 15 contact hours, effective for the renewal period beginning January 1, 1991:

  • At least two contact hours shall be in the area of pharmacy law; and not more than ten contact hours shall be acquired through home study and other mediated instruction.
  • No CEUs may be carried over from one calendar year to another.

What does ACPE stand for?
ACPE stands for the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. ACPE is the national accrediting agency for pharmacy continuing education. ACPE assures the quality of continuing pharmaceutical education programs by evaluating the providers of CE and by monitoring the quality of their educational activities. ACPE also provides a basis for uniform acceptance of CE credits among the states.

How do I know if a CE program is ACPE-accredited?
To determine if a program is accredited by ACPE, look for the ACPE logo and a fourteen digit number on information brochures regarding the program.

When will I receive my statement of continuing education participation?
Following participation in the program and completion and submission of a signature sheet and evaluation form, we can issue your continuing education statement of credit. You should expect a statement via postal mail within 4-6 weeks following the program.

What if I've lost my continuing education statement of credit?
Duplicate statement of credits can be issued in the case of a lost statement of credit. Please contact our office and we will reissue the statement of credit. Please have as much of the following information available as possible in order to facilitate the process: name of program, date of program, ACPE number.

Can I receive partial credit for a course, if I can't stay for the whole program?
It depends on the program. Some of our annual conferences are organized as two separate days. If you can register for one day, without the other, you could receive continuing education for just one day of programming. But, in general, you cannot receive partial credit (e.g. 2 hours of a 4 hour program) for our live coursework. You must attend the course in its entirety.

What's the difference between certification and a statement of credit program?
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) states that: "Certification is the process by which a non-governmental agency, such as a professional association, grants recognition, following assessment, to an individual who has met certain predetermined qualifications specified by that organization." Examples of certifications in pharmacy include:

  • Board Certified Nuclear Pharmacist (BCNP)
  • Board Certified Nutrition Support Pharmacist (BCNSP)
  • Board Certified Oncology Pharmacist (BCOP)
  • Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS)
  • Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacist (BCPP) (see the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties for more information) and
  • Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (CGP) (see the Commission for Certification in Geriatric Pharmacy for further information).

In contrast, "certificate programs in pharmacy are structured and systematic post-graduate continuing education experiences for pharmacists that are generally smaller in magnitude and shorter in time than degree programs, and that impart knowledge, skills, attitudes and performance behaviors designed to meet specific pharmacy practice objectives." "The successful completion of one or more Certificate Programs in Pharmacy may be among the requirements for certification or re-certification, as determined by the organization granting certification.

Reference: The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. Standards and Quality Assurance Procedures for ACPE-Approved Providers of Continuing Pharmaceutical Education Offering Certificate Programs in Pharmacy. Chicago, 1999.

For Internet CE:

Can I print additional copies of my Statement of Credit?
Yes. All additional copies will be marked as "DUPLICATE".

How do I know what questions I missed on a test?
All incorrectly answered questions will be displayed.

What happens if I fail a test?
Review all the program material and focus on those questions that you marked incorrectly. You may take the test again at no additional charge until you pass.

Can I receive continuing education credits for your programs in my state?
Although the majority of our programs are accepted for continuing education credit in all states, it is ultimately your responsibility to find out whether our programs will be acceptable for continuing education credits in your state. If you have questions, we recommend that you contact your state board.

If my state board requires that my continuing education programs be submitted, will you send my records to the state board of or will I have to do it?
You are responsible for all interactions with your state board.

Where do I get the Adobe Acrobat PDF reader?
The current link to the Adobe Acrobat PDF reader is:

Back to top

Contact Info

Pharmacy CE
140 The Fenway
Mailstop R218 TF
Boston, MA 02115
Tel: 617.373.5418
Fax: 617.373.7655

Main Links

Local Links

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.