Civic Engagement Program (CEP)
The Civic Engagement Program (CEP), aims to redefine scholarship by ensuring that students receiving our most prestigious scholarships not only excel academically, but have the opportunity to grow as civic-minded individuals who give back through service to our local and global communities. CEP contributes to the University's mission to educate students for a life of fulfillment and accomplishment... and to meet global and societal needs.
CEP requires each scholar to participate in 100 hours of service and civic engagement activities each year of undergraduate study at Northeastern University. For first-year students, there is a highly structured program which includes training, monthly reflections and a weekly service partnership with a local community based organization. For upper-class students, there is a system of accountability and support, as well as service and networking opportunities to engage student scholars in earning the required amount of hours and creating a community of like-minded students.
CEP encompasses students who are recipients of the following scholarships:
- Balfour Scholars
- Boston Housing Authority (BHA) Scholars
- Boston Public High School (BPHS) Scholars
- National Achievement Scholars
- National Hispanic Scholars
- National Merit Scholars
- Torch Scholars
- University Scholars
Student Scholar CEP Expectations
All student scholars must:
- Complete a minimum of 100 hours of civic engagement activities with an approved community partner organization(s) annually.
- Participate in all orientation, training, and recognition events.
- Attend reflection sessions and journal assignments (monthly during the first-year of the program).
- Submit bi-weekly time logs of service hours.
- Complete evaluations at the end of each semester.
- Communicate regularly with the CEP staff.
2013-14 CEP Community Partners
The Center of Community Service is proud to partner with the following organizations for the 13-14 academic year!
- 826 Boston
- Adventure Challenge Program
- Alternatives for Community and Environment (ACE)
- America SCORES New England
- Amphibious Acheivement
- Balfour Academy
- Boston Building Resources
- Boston Partners in Education
- Boston Scholar Athletes
- Boys & Girls Club of Boston - Yawkey Club of Roxbury
- Castle Square Tenants Organization
- Catholic Charities El Centro
- Community Servings
- Generation Citizen
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
- Girls' LEAP
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Futures
- Hyde Square Task Force
- John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics and Science
- LEAD (Linking Education and Diversity)
- Let's Get Ready
- LIFT -Boston
- Peace through Play
- Peer Health Exchange
- Roxbury Multiservice Center
- Sherrill House
- SNAP (South End)
- St. Stephen's Youth Program
- The Food Project
- Tutors for All
- United South End Settlements
Associate Director, Service & Community Partnerships
Center of Community Service
617-373-5838 | firstname.lastname@example.org