College of Allied Health Professions
Department of Physical Therapy Department of Physical Therapy
• APPLICATION FORM
• DOCUMENTATION OF PT EXPERIENCE FORM
Students who can meet the prerequisite requirements by the time the program begins in Fall semester of a given year should apply to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at the USA by the prior December 15th by following these steps:
- All applicatants must apply to PTCAS and submit a supplemental application to the PT program. Applications are available in July each year. Students should also download a supplemental application below. Additional details concerning submission of application materials are provided with the application form.
- International applicants must have a TOEFL score > 600, TSE > 60, and TWE > 4.5 and must submit the following to the Department of Physical Therapy by October 15 of the year prior to admission.
- In addition to the PTCAS application, applicants must submit these documents by 5:00 p.m. on December 15. Materials being sent by mail carrier must be postmarked NO later than December 15.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores with minimum score of 290 must be officially reported to the University of South Alabama: (use Institution Code: 7799) No copies are accepted.
- Completed supplemental application
- Graduate Record Examination official scores sent electronically to institution code 7799 (see below)
- Non-refundable supplemental application processing fee of $75.00
The Department of Physical Therapy will not process any application that is incomplete (for any items noted above) or that is not submitted by the deadline.
A limited number of applicants who meet all admission requirements will be invited for personal interviews.
Students accepted to the program must submit completed health and physical exam forms to include required immunizations. Accepted students must also read, sign and submit the Core Performance Standards document outlining fundamental tasks of which applicants should be capable upon entering the PT program. The document is included in the application packet and available upon request.
Acceptance into the DPT program is provisional pending completion of any additional required prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better and submission of required medical forms as supplied in the acceptance packet. Failure to make a grade of "C" or better in any required prerequisite course will result in a nullification of acceptance into the professional program.
If a student is not selected for admission in a given year, they may re-apply the following year.
Click here to download the supplemental application form for the USA DPT program. Please contact the Physical Therapy Office of Admissions by email for information on applying to the program: email@example.com
Click here for a Documentation of PT Experience Form (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
This schedule represents the admissions timeline in a typical year. In any given year, the schedule may have to be adjusted.
July 1-December 15th
Admissions committee considers applications
-includes a brief presentation and tour of the department
-each applicant has a 30 minute interview with a pair of PT interviewers
March - April
Initial acceptance letters and alternate letters mailed
Deadline to respond to offer and reserve your place
Students begin first semester of DPT program
The table below displays characteristics of the individuals accepted into the DPT Class for each cohort in recent years. Please note that the GPA and GRE data are means for the group that was admitted.
2011 Class of
2012 Class of 2013 Class of 2014 Class of 2015 Class of 2016
Mean Cumulative GPA
3.63 3.63 3.69 3.71 3.81 3.80
Mean M/S GPA
3.64 3.59 3.59 3.68 3.64 3.67
Mean GRE (V+Q) Total
1076 1071 1104 1051 1123 (302*) 302*
M 13 F 24
M 11 F28
M 8 F20
Number of Applicants
(complete applications/pre-requisites met)
190 203 210 249 217 302
74 78 81 104 98 97
36 35 36 36 36 40
*For the class of 2016, the new GRE scoring system was implemented.