University of South Alabama

Page Content   Utility Links   Main Links

Home   Index   Search   Directories   Faq

USA Undergraduate/Graduate Bulletin 2014-2015


The Division of Student Affairs is responsible for that part of the student’s total educational experience which takes place outside the formal classroom program. Among its concerns are housing, student center, student activities, recreation, student organizations, programs, disciplinary actions, disabled student services, community service, personal counseling, multicultural affairs, testing services, food services, bookstore, and University Police. Through such activities as the Student Government Association, the students are given a responsible voice in the governance of the University.
(See Student Handbook, The Lowdown
Students also participate as members of some University-wide committees as well as on committees within the colleges of the University.
The University of South Alabama, is committed to providing services and creating a supportive campus environment which fosters engagement, academic success, and personal development within a diverse community of learners.
The newly renovated Student Center supports the University mission by providing quality programs, facilities, and services that create a community that encourages involvement, development and personal and academic growth. The Student Center is truly the center of it all on campus.
Located in the building are lounge areas, the Student ID Office, a computer lab, office that support student engagement, dining and other student life areas. Eight meeting rooms, a ballroom, and audio-visual equipment are available at no charge to student organizations, and administrative and academic departments. Individuals and outside organizations may reserve space and equipment for a fee.
Reservations for any space in or around the Student Center may be made in Student Center Services, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at (251) 460-6077 or
The Campus Recreation Department offers a wide variety of recreational opportunities for the entire University community. Campus Recreation accommodates many styles of participation, including intramural team and individual competition in a variety of sports and activities. Open recreational opportunities, fitness programs, outdoor recreation activities, aquatics, and sports clubs are offered. Student groups may use recreational facilities and equipment for social activities approved by the Campus Recreation Department. The continuing goal of the recreation program is to provide activities that offer optimum benefits of enjoyment, health, social interaction, and sportsmanship to participants.
Our state-of-the art Student Recreation Center is an impressive facility that contributes greatly to student life on campus. Within the Student Recreation Center, one will find a wide array of recreational and fitness facilities. The 116,000 square foot complex contains a cardio exercise room and a weight room with selectorized machines, plate loaded machines, and free weights. Also, within the Center are three basketball courts, an indoor soccer court, four racquetball courts, two multipurpose rooms for activities such as martial arts and fitness classes, and a track. A 35' high rock climbing wall offers challenges and excitement to climbing enthusiasts. An outdoor heated swimming pool and an indoor heated swimming pool are included as part of the complex. There is also an outdoor heated spa. In addition, saunas are located in both the men's and women's locker rooms. After a good workout, patrons can enjoy refreshments from the smoothie bar and sit on the deck overlooking the courtyard containing beautiful heritage oak trees. For members of the Student Recreation Center who have children, there is a children's play zone.
Located next to the Student Recreation Center is the Outdoor Adventures cabin. The Outdoor Adventures program offers a variety of activities including canoeing, kayaking and hiking. Also housed in our Outdoor Adventures cabin is our Jag Bike rental program. Students can rent a bike to use on campus on a semester basis. We offer minor repairs of personally owned bikes free of charge. Owner must provide the needed parts for repairs.
The Intramural Sports Complex consists of six multipurpose playing fields. These lighted fields are used throughout the year for intramural games and practices. One of the fields is designated for use by sports clubs.
The SGA Sports Complex, supervised and maintained by the Department of Campus Recreation, is available for use by university members throughout the year. A pavilion, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, and barbecue grills make this area a great spot for fun and entertainment.
The Glenn Sebastian Nature Trail is available for those who like to walk or jog through the woods. This is both beautiful and educational.
Other services offered at the Student Recreation Center include chair massage therapy, weekly opportunities to meet with a physician to ask medically related questions; and body fat and blood pressure readings.
All members of our university community are encouraged to take advantage of the wonderful opportunities for fun and fitness offered through the Department of Campus Recreation. For further information, please visit our web page or call (251) 460-6065.
Counseling And Testing Services strives to facilitate the academic, emotional, social, and career development of students. It offers individual, relationship, and group counseling for all interested students and conducts outreach educational programs. Counseling services are provided free and confidentially by a staff composed of Licensed Professional Counselors. Students having mental health and/or relationship problems are invited to take advantage of this campus resource.
The Substance Abuse Program is another facet of the Counseling and Testing Services department. This program provides the USA community with counseling, educational, and prevention programs related specifically to substance abuse. The primary goals of the Substance Abuse Program are to increase knowledge and awareness of alcohol and other drug issues and to decrease the harmful consequences associated with high risk drinking and/or illegal drug use.
Counseling and Testing Services serves as a regional testing center for various national testing organizations. Testing services are provided for USA students as well as non-students. Fees for testing services vary according to the types of tests administered.
Counseling and Testing Services is located in 326 Alpha Hall East at 555 University Blvd. For further information about any of these services, contact our office at (251) 460-7051 or go on-line to
The University offers special services to students with disabilities. Students requesting services must submit documentation regarding the disability to the Office of Student Disability Services prior to receiving services. Reasonable accommodations are offered in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008. The Office of Student Disability Services is located at 5828 Old Shell Road, (251) 460-7212.
The University does not permit the possession, consumption, or distribution of alcohol by an individual on any of its campuses and in any of its facilities without prior approval. The possession, consumption, and/or distribution of illegal substances are forbidden. Violation of either policy is subject to both University administrative action and criminal prosecution. See The Lowdown for a full description of the policy.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs is committed to providing programming for cultural awareness, coordinate efforts to increase the retention of minority students, encourage minority students to participate in all aspects of campus life, and provide leadership development for aspiring student leaders. For further information or assistance contact (251) 460-6895 or visit
The Student Activities Board, Jaguar Productions, presents activities to serve the cultural, educational, recreational, and social interests of students. Those students who are directly involved have opportunities to exemplify creative thinking and leadership outside the classroom.
Jaguar Productions functions through committees, such as Talks & Topics, Comedy, Music, Movies, Special Events, Technical and Promotions. Students select, publicize and produce the events. All students are invited to join these committees. For more information, please call (251) 460-7144 or visit Jaguar Productions.
Students attending the University of South Alabama are accepted as responsible adults working with their faculty colleagues in search of knowledge. Rigid regulation of personal conduct will not be necessary since freedom as an objective of education is difficult without the actual existence of freedom.
Such freedom must be balanced by individual responsibility and respect for the rights, responsibilities, and freedom of others. Students, therefore, will be held accountable for their own decisions and actions. Failure to assume responsibility for actions that jeopardize the rights and freedoms of others or involve the integrity of the University will result in disciplinary review.
The University holds its students to high standards of academic excellence and similarly expects high standards of individual conduct. The Spirit of South Alabama was adopted by the Student Government Association as a basis for expectations from our students. Persistent violations of expected standards or established regulations will necessarily involve appropriate disciplinary action. The University reserves the right to deny admission or continued attendance to students whose decisions and actions are contrary to the purposes and procedures of the University. The Lowdown, the USA student handbook (, contains the Code of Student Conduct.
The Student Academic Conduct Policy is presented in the USA student handbook, The Lowdown. Please refer to
Over 180 professional, departmental, special interest clubs, faith-based organizations, and honor societies are active at the University. These organizations represent a wide variety of disciplines and interests and provide an opportunity for every student to get involved. Any student group seeking recognition is encouraged to pick up application forms in the Office of Student Activities, Academic Support Center, (251) 460-7003 or online at
Educational Talent Search (E T S) is a federally funded program designed to encourage low income and first generation college students to consider post-secondary opportunities while they are in secondary schools. The program serves sixth (6th) through twelfth (12th) grade students. Participants must demonstrate a potential for academic success and have a desire to further their education. E T S is designed to improve academic performance, increase student motivation and facilitate transitions from one level of education to the next. The services offered are counseling techniques related to academic, career, vocational, and enrichment activities, study skills training, college preparation, financial aid and scholarship information, educational trips, and tutorial sessions. Tutorial services are conducted by students who are enrolled at the University. For more information, contact the Educational Talent Search Office, UCOM 5700, 251-380-2620.
Faculty, and staff purchase their parking permits at the Office of Student Accounting. Beginning the 2013/2014 academic year, faculty and staff will purchase their permits online.
Students are assessed a transportation fee which includes a parking permit. Students register for a parking permit at Beginning the 2013/14 academic year, it is expected that all students will have their permit mailed to them. All students must park in the zone indicated by their permit between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. Faculty/Staff (blue spaces) are off-limits for student use until 5:00 p.m.
Parking permits are required twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. Parking permits must be displayed from the rear view mirror facing outward. Displaying it in any other location or in any other manner is considered a violation. Temporary Permits may be obtained from Parking Services, 290 Stadium Blvd.
Upward Bound is a federally funded, college preparatory program for high school students in Mobile County. The program provides academic counseling, tutorial support, cultural enrichment activities, and academic courses offered during a six (6) week summer residential component. The primary goal of Upward Bound is to provide each participant with the necessary skills to successfully enter and complete a program of post-secondary education. USA students serve as tutors and residential counselors for the participants. For information, contact the Upward Bound Office, 5828 Old Shell Road, (251) 460-7322.
The University and the community offer to students an opportunity to participate in a variety of cultural and recreational programs. Among them are concerts by symphonic and chamber organizations, choral groups and choirs, ballet and opera productions, theatre, art exhibits, film series, and lecture and discussion conferences. In many of these programs, students are urged to participate as performers. Special events are scheduled on the campus, and reduced rates for students are arranged for many civic programs.
The University of South Alabama has its own University Police Force. The University of South Alabama Police Department's mission is to partner with the university community, so that we can provide a safe environment to learn, live, work, and play.
  1. Educate the University community, which includes faculty, staff, and students, on crime prevention methods and techniques and encourage them to accept appropriate responsibility for their safety and security on campus.
  2. Provide purpose-driven services to all segments of the university community while aggressively striving to maximize campus safety and minimize security risk factors.
  3. Encourage and provide professional development opportunities for the Police Department.
  4. Enforce state and federal statues, rules and regulations to ensure the safety of university faculty, staff, students, and guests.
  5. Achieve this mission in the most efficient manner possible.
A college education offers students the opportunities for advanced learning, interesting career options and meeting new people. An additional opportunity of the college experience is on-campus living where learning and personal growth take place in the community environment of the residence halls.
The University of South Alabama offers a wide range of facilities to meet the lifestyles of a diversified student body. The residence hall options available include suite style rooms, apartments, studio apartments, private rooms and private room with kitchenette. Some Greek organizations also offer on-campus housing leased from the University for their members.

All students accepted by the University will be sent residence hall information and a contract. Information is also available on the Housing and Residence Life web site at Assignments are made based on the order in which the contracts are received. Students and parents should be aware the required prepayment is due when the signed contract/application is submitted. Students under 19 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign their residence hall contract. The balance of the residence hall charge is due by the fifth day of classes.

Rooms For Two: All rooms in the Epsilon buildings are two-person rooms which open onto an interior hallway. Epsilon rooms have a vanity area, bathroom and are equipped with a small refrigerator. Most rooms in the Delta Area are two-person rooms which open onto an exterior walkway. The Delta rooms have a vanity area, bathroom and are equipped with a small refrigerator.
Private rooms: Private rooms are available in the Delta Area. Private rooms in Delta have the same amenities listed above for Rooms For Two.
Suite-Syle Rooms For Two: Located in the Gamma Area, these Rooms are composed of a bedroom for each resident with a shared-adjoining vanity area and bathroom. Each Room is equipped with a small refrigerator.
Room For Two with kitchenette: This type of room is available in the Delta 6 building and provides a vanity area, bathroom, and a kitchenette with a two-burner stove top, sink with disposal, microwave, and a small refrigerator. A limited number of these units are available as private rooms.
Two Bedroom Apartment: The Beta and Gamma Areas offer two-bedroom apartments with a living/dining space, vanity area, bathroom, kitchen with a range, sink with disposal, cabinets and a full size refrigerator. The two-bedroom apartments will accommodate two people or four people.
Studio Apartments For Two: Studio apartments are available in the Beta and Gamma buildings. These apartments consist of a shared living/sleeping space, vanity area, bathroom, kitchen with a range, sink with disposal, cabinets and a full-size refrigerator.
Private EAP rooms and Apartments: A limited number of private rooms and apartments are available to students who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students must be registered with the Special Student Services Office to qualify for this type space.
Stokes Hall: This Building features two Suite-Style rooms with a shared adjoining bathroom. Each room is equipped with a private vanity area and small refrigerator.
New Residence Hall: A 350 bed traditional residence hall with Rooms For Two that open to an interior hallway. Each room contains a private vanity, bathroom, and equipped with a small refrigerator.
Greek Housing: Accommodations in the Greek halls are Two persons Rooms with a vanity area and a bathroom. Each Greek house is equipped with Internet Service and a laundry facility that is included in the cost of the room. Occupancy, in the Greek Area, is limited to members of the individual organizations who have houses on campus. Greek Area residents are subject to the same contract required of all residence hall students.
Living Learning Communities (LLC): For those interested in participating, living learning communities will be included in Stokes, New Hall, and Epsilon Halls. A living learning community is a group of students with shared interests who live in the same residential area. National research shows that students in a living learning community report a more positive social life and higher levels of student-faculty interaction (National Survey of Student Engagement Annual Report 2007). USA is working to increase student success by developing communities of learners. Members of the community attend two or three classes together. One of these classes will be a first year experience course and the other will be a general education class. Students in living learning communities also enjoy participating in learning community activities outside of class. These include guest speakers and presentations or "field trips" related to a particular topic.
Furnishings and Amenities: All residence hall rooms are equipped with beds, closets, and dressers. All rooms are heated and air-conditioned through individual room units or through a central system. The apartments are also furnished with living room furniture and a dining table and chairs. Utilities, campus cable TV, unlimited use of the laundry, a high-speed internet and wireless connections, and a campus post office box are all included in the semester room charge. Each residence hall area has a common building or space that includes a TV room, laundry facilities and vending machines available for student use. The Dining Hall is located within the residence hall area and students are required to purchase a meal plan. For more information on meal plan requirements and cost, please contact Housing at (251) 460-6185 or Dining Services at (251) 460-6296. More detailed information on furnishings and amenities is available on the University web site at
Additional Residence Hall Information: All students are assigned based on the date their contract and prepayment are received in the Housing and Residence Life office. The residence hall contract provides housing for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters) or from the initial date of the contract to the end of the academic year. Students may change rooms and/or areas after receiving appropriate authorization and when vacancies are available. A residence hall contract may be canceled only if the student fails to enroll, withdraws from the University, marries, participates in a co-op or intern program outside the Mobile area, or graduates from the University during the term of the contract. Documentation is required. Refer to the residence hall contract for more specific information. All students living in University Housing are required to have the Meningitis vaccine and provide the immunization record to the USA Student Health Center.

The information above has provided a general outline of the different styles of housing facilities owned and managed by the University of South Alabama. It is recommended that any student having questions concerning University residence hall housing should contact Housing and Residence Life office at the address or appropriate telephone number listed below:
University of South Alabama, Housing and Residence Life, Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Residence Hall Information (251) 460-6185 or toll free (866) 872-0140
Housing and Residence Life web site:

The Grove is a privately-owned and managed apartment complex located on the southwest end of the main campus. Residency, in The Grove is limited to upperclassmen. Students should be aware that the University Code of Conduct and the Residence Hall rules and policies apply to residents of The Grove. The Grove is not part of University Housing and Residence Life. For leasing information and all questions or concerns, contact The Grove management office at (251) 341-9412. Also see
South Alabama Dining Services offers a wide variety of food and convenient services in different areas of the campus. These services are designed with the students' needs in mind and provide flexibility and convenience to meet the demanding schedule of our students.
The meal plan options for residence hall students offer quality food at a discounted price. The University has a mandatory meal plan policy for students that live on campus. Please visit and click on the meal plan tab to see the details of the mandatory meal plan policy. At this same link, detailed descriptions and requirements for all meal plan options is provided.
Other meal plan options are available for faculty, staff, and commuter students. These plans provide a discounted price over purchasing individual meals on each visit to the dining facility. In addition, faculty, staff, and commuter students can purchase Dining Dollars to use at any food service location on campus. Dining Dollars are added to the ID card and are deducted each time there is a food service transaction.
South Alabama Dining is also the official caterer on campus. A full catering guide is available at under the catering tab. Written approval to use an outside caterer must be obtained in advance from the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Located on the main campus, the USA BOOKSTORE offers a wide range of products and services both on campus and online. New and used textbooks, as well as the supply materials necessary for all courses are available. In addition, a wide variety of reading materials from classics to current best sellers are offered.
An assortment of USA emblematic giftware and fashion sportswear is also offered.
Examples of many other products and services available in the BOOKSTORE are:

Calculators/Electronics Office Products
Class Rings Residence Hall Room Supplies
Computer Software/Supplies Soft Drinks/Snack Foods
Facsimile Service Student Supplies
Greeting Cards Test Preps/Study Aids
Laptops/Printers USA Apparel - JAGWEAR

Regular Store Hours: 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Monday and Tuesday. 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. “Rush” hours and summer hours will be posted at the BOOKSTORE entrance.

VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and USA JAGCASH are accepted. For additional information please call (251) 460-7012, or visit our web site at:

The University of South Alabama Post Office is essentially a Public Contract Station operating under U.S. Postal Service guidelines and a mail room operating under the University of South Alabama guidelines and procedures.
This Post Office is staffed with University of South Alabama employees, who are familiar with all areas of postal operations and are qualified to handle most tasks. Up-to-date domestic and international manuals are maintained and used for reference purposes. Window service consists of selling postal supplies and accepting letters, flats and parcels for mailing. Departmental mail pickup and delivery service is provided by means of an established route. The Campus Mail Room processes all departmental mail, domestic and foreign, except C.O.D., which must be handled with the U.S.P.S. The Campus Post Office accepts cash and checks only.
All students who live on campus are required to have a personal mail box to receive mail. Mail is not delivered to the Residence Hall Rooms. Residence Hall students need to activate their PO Box @ the Post Office and complete a short form. For additional information please call (251) 414-8191, or visit our web site at
All students should have medical insurance. This information is available through Student Health Services. Students are encouraged to purchase this policy if they do not have medical insurance. For more information contact Student Health Services, (251) 460-7151.


The University of South Alabama's campus transportation, JagTran, was created to provide easy, safe, and efficient transportation for USA students, employees and visitors. Some JagTran vehicles run continuously throughout the day on the main campus. No tickets, money, or reservation are needed. Students will park their cars in color-coded lots, which they choose, and then walk or ride JagTran. For more information, visit
Competing in both men's and women's sports on the intercollegiate level, the University's athletic program fulfills a vital role in giving the students a well-rounded environment of study and recreational entertainment. The University is an active member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 1AAA. Teams are maintained yearly in baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, tennis, track, and volleyball. Governed by regulations set forth by the President of the University, the Director of Athletics, the NCAA, and the Sun Belt Conference, athletic participation and expansion is occurring as rapidly as facilities permit.
The Student Health Center is located on the first floor of the Health Services Building, Suite 1200. Services are provided to currently enrolled students by a team of fully licensed and board-certified providers. Hours of operations are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. when classes are in session. During times when the University is closed for holidays periods, students should go to their private physicians or their local emergency rooms. The University is not responsible for any medical charges incurred after hours or when the University is not in session. It is highly recommended that students obtain health insurance for coverage beyond the scope of care at the Student Health Center or for services during holiday periods.
There are some nominal charges for medication and laboratory charges that payable at the time of service. It is advisable for students to call ahead at (251) 460-7151 and schedule an appointment to shorten their waiting time, however, students are welcome to walk-in for services, too.
Health and Prevention Education programs are also available and can be scheduled by calling Student Health. If students wish to participate directly in a peer health education program or the Student Health Advisory Council, they may inquire by calling Student Health on completing an application on-line at
The student newspaper The Vanguard, is distributed free to students and is under the direction of a Board comprised of representatives from the Student Government Association, The Vanguard, the faculty, media services, and public relations. The editor and business manager are selected from applications submitted by interested students.
The University of South Alabama is approved for the education of veterans, active duty members, and dependents of disabled veterans who are eligible for benefits under the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Office of Veterans Affairs is located at 2300 Meisler hall on the main campus. the office provides services to all veterans and dependents of veterans. Students who wish to use veteran education benefits must contact the office of Veterans Affairs (251) 460-6230.
The University of South Alabama does not have a tuition/fees deferment policy. Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration and are the responsibility of the student. Post 9/11 students my be the exception. Starting V. A. benefits or transferring them to USA may take up to eight weeks. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Veterans Affairs as early as possible.
For information concerning 'Transfer Credit from Military Service School," see Admissions/Enrollment Services Section.
The Mitchell Center, home to the University of South Alabama Jaguars, which is located adjacent to the historical Jaguar Gymnasium, features a 10,000-seat arena and exceptional support space with state-of-the-art equipment. the Center is a multi-purpose facility that hosts major events such as graduation, convocation, concerts, sporting events, and a variety of family events. There is also space dedicated to classrooms, meeting rooms, private offices, Athletic Administration offices and the USA Coastal Weather Research Center. A "must see" for many tourists visiting the area, the Waterman Globe is located in the Grand Lobby of the Mitchell Center. This massive historic globe was originally installed in 1948 in the Waterman Building, in downtown Mobile. It was acquired by the University and installed in the Mitchell Center Grand Lobby to be shared with the community and its many visitors. For rental information call (251) 461-1632 or visit our web site at
USA Telecommunications Department is committed to providing high quality, cost effective services to the University Community.

Telecommunications is located off USA North Drive. As you approach the traffic circle on USA North Drive, we are the first building on your right. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Our information number is (251) 460-7491 or if you are on campus, dial 6-7491.

As a program within the Public Relations Department, licensing serves as a support function to the University's overall mission which is: to protect the name and identifying marks of the University of South Alabama, also, to preserve the University's good name and reputation by insuring that products bearing its name or marks are good quality and reflect positively on the University, and to promote the University by stimulating public awareness and support of the University through use of its name and marks.
All items bearing the logo/marks of the University, must be ordered through companies that are officially licensed. A list of vendors is maintained by this office and can be provided if requested. This includes items that bear the log/marks of the University that aren't for resale. A letter of request should be sent to the licensing department stating the nature of the use and that the product is being used internally along with the name and address of the licensed company so the royalty fee can be waived.
All royalty income received will be placed into a permanent endowment for scholarships. The proceeds from this endowment will be divided equally for use in undergraduate, graduate, and athletic scholarships.
For questions concerning the licensing program, please call (251) 460-6211

The Office of Publication Services is located in University Commons (UCOM) on the corner of University Boulevard and Old Shell Road. This department services the printing needs of students, faculty, and staff on an individual, departmental, or organizational basis. Publication Services provides the latest techniques in composition, creative design and layout, camera work, and one to multicolor offset printing.

Publications Services also provides walk-in cash copy orders while you wait. All directional and informational signage, as well as, plaques and name tags are produced in our department. Large format printing can be created up to 60 inches wide. Lamination is also available for materials up to 42 inches wide.
The quality and effectiveness of a publication can be enhance by consulting with staff artists early in the design stages. consultation also allows Publication Services to share valuable timesaving and cost-effective tips with the customer.
Publication Services creates printed material tailored to meet specific needs, including resumes, newsletters, directories, handbooks, posters and flyers, stationery, and more. for further information or to schedule an appointment, call (251) 380-2828.
USA Career Services, located in Meisler Hall, Suite 2100, assists students and alumni in all phases of career exploration, development, and job search strategies. USA Career Services is a comprehensive career services center. The Career Exploration component provides activities to assist in career exploration. The Cooperative Education and Internship Program helps students confirm career choices through experiential education. Job Search and Graduate School assistance is offered to students and alumni seeking information about career-related employment and entry into graduate or professional schools.
Career Exploration
Career Services guides students in determining career interests and selecting appropriate academic programs to reach career goals. The appropriate selection of a major can impact a student's desire to complete a college education and a student's success in college and the workplace. Career Advisors are trained to assist students in the various aspects of career and academic development. Among the many resources available to students are:
Cooperative Education and Internship Program
The Cooperative Education and Internship Program enables students to combine classroom studies with paid work experience related to their major field of study. Undergraduate students may apply at Career Services to enter the Cooperative Education Program when they have completed 12 credit hours, attained a cumulative grade-point average of 2.3 or above, and are classified as a full-time student upon commencement of participation in the program. Prior to the first work experience engineering students must complete two or three semesters of study for a total of 24 credit hours toward the engineering degree and complete courses MA 125 and MA 126. The internship option requires the completion of 12 credit hours, a 2.0 GPA or above and sufficient time remaining before graduation to complete the internship. Graduate students may apply after they are accepted into a graduate program and must maintain the academic requirments of their department.
Option 1. Alternating Cooperative Education: Students rotate multiple semesters of full-time work with semesters of full-time school until graduation.
Option 2. Internship: Students work for various lengths of time depending upon the unique needs of the organization providing the experience. The option of receiving academic credit for this experience is approved through the academic department.
Option 3. Engineering Cooperative Education - The Five Year Plan: This program allows engineering students to gain one year of valuable engineering experience as they pursue their degree. The freshman year is spent as a full-time student at the university. During the sophomore and junior years, the student alternates semesters of full-time work with semesters of full-time school. The student returns to campus full-time for the senior year. Students are paid an excellent pre-professional salary during the work semesters. This program offers many advantages; interested students should consult with Career Services.
To remain in the Cooperative Education program students must maintain good academic standing; a cumulative grade-point average of 2.3 or above and comply with the policies and procedures of the employer and the Cooperative Education and Internship Program.
Job Search and Graduate School Assistance
Career Services offers many services to students seeking career-related employment or those planning to pursue graduate or professional school. Jaguar Job Link, an on-line career management system, allows students to seek and apply for jobs, publish resumes, and participate in on-campus interviews. Career Services also offers advising appointments, seminars, job search programs, and annual career expos and job fairs.

Main Links

- Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: April 17, 2014 4:25 PM

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.