text only

University of South Alabama University of South Alabama Home   Index   Search   Directories   Faq

Counseling and Testing Services

DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
About Us
Staff
Outreach Educational Programs
Virtual Brochures
Substance Abuse Program
Mental Health Emergencies
Group Counseling
Testing Services
Contact Us
Message to Faculty
Video Introduction
Resources
ULifeline-online mental health self-evaluator
Counseling and Testing Services Home
Student Affairs Home
USA Home

Alcohol Poisoning: What You Should Know

What is alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is an acute, toxic condition that results from excessive amounts of alcohol being consumed within a relatively short period of time. Alcohol poisoning may be fatal when it is associated with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .30 or higher. Death from alcohol poisoning may result from respiratory and/or cardiac arrest or choking on one's vomit leading to asphyxiation. Even if the person survives, irreversible brain damage may occur.

What are the signs of alcohol poisoning?

What should I do if I suspect someone has alcohol poisoning?

Recognize that alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency. Seek help immediately by calling 511 if you are on campus and 911 if off-campus. Turn the affected individual on his/her side and stay there until help arrives. Do not hesitate to seek help because you are concerned about the person's possible reaction later. It is better to be safe than sorry.

For further information contact the USA Substance Abuse Program at
(251) 460-7980.

Back to Substance Abuse Program
University of South Alabama   Contact Us
Text Only Options

Top of page


Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.