Campus-Wide E-mail Procedures…Please Review Carefully.Contact Us
University of South Alabama employees may use the campus-wide e-mail system to communicate with other employees and/or students on matters of official University business. These e-mails should be used sparingly to avoid unnecessary traffic on the e-mail system. The Office of Public Relations reviews all e-mails submitted for bulk distribution. E-mails should be sent to the bulk mail system a minimum of 2 business days before their desired distribution date. E-mails are sent only at night to reduce disruption of the e-mail system. The guidelines below must be followed carefully to ensure delivery of your message.
E-mails can be sent to the following lists by using the corresponding addresses:
Faculty & Staff Lists:All faculty and staff email@example.com
Faculty only firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-medical faculty only email@example.com
All faculty/staff except hospitals firstname.lastname@example.org
All College of Allied Health email@example.com
Allied Health Faculty firstname.lastname@example.org
All College of Medicine (COM) email@example.com
COM faculty only firstname.lastname@example.org
COM physicians only email@example.com
COM basic scientists firstname.lastname@example.org
Arts & Sciences faculty email@example.com
All hospital employees firstname.lastname@example.org
All non-faculty except hospitals and COMstfnothm@lists.usouthal.edu
College of Nursing email@example.com
Division of Health Sciences (Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, & Allied Health)
All faculty/staff except medical firstname.lastname@example.org
Student List:Enrolled students email@example.com
To send a bulk e-mail to any of the above lists:
- Type in the correct address for each list you wish to e-mail.
- Type in a brief, meaningful subject in the subject block.
- Type your message in the message block EXACTLY AS YOU WANT IT TO APPEAR. Do not include personal notes such as “Please post this…”
- Ensure that all pertinent information (who, what, when, where, contact phone numbers, etc.) is included in your message. Send the message using the e-mail account that you want readers to reply to, or specifically denote a reply-to address.
- PROOFREAD YOUR MESSAGE FOR ERRORS BEFORE SENDING. Corrections/changes cannot be made in the e-mail once it is sent.
- You will receive a return e-mail message confirming receipt of your request.
- The campus-wide e-mail system CANNOT SEND ATTACHMENTS. Please include all information in the body of the e-mail, or you can include a link (URL) to a web page. The link should be in the following form: http://servername/filepathname . If you place the link at the end of a sentence, please include a space before the trailing period to prevent readers from interpreting the period as part of the link. If you need assistance with a web page, contact Web Services at (251) 460-7395.
- The campus-wide e-mail system is designed to use plain text formatting. Messages composed in HTML or rich text formatting will contain extraneous characters when sent. To insure proper formatting:
- In GroupWise, with the Compose (Mail To) window open, click “View,” then select “Plain Text.”
- In Netscape or Mozilla, look under the Composition settings and uncheck the “Compose Message in HTML” box.
- Avoid cutting and pasting directly from a word processing application because these often contain hidden codes that can be interpreted incorrectly by some e-mail programs. These codes can often be removed by first pasting your message to Notepad (or some other text-only editing package) and then cutting from Notepad and pasting to the e-mail message block.
If you have questions, call Public Relations at (251) 460-6211.
Open the original version of this page.