University of South Alabama University of South Alabama USA Home   Web Index   Search   Directories   FAQ

Tax Accounting

Division of Finance
and Administration

Our Goals
Education Tax Credits
Honoraria Payments to Foreign Visitors
Sales Tax
Charitable Contributions to the University
Employee or Independent Contractor?
Unrelated Business Income Tax
Tax Accounting Home
Finance and Administration Home
USA Home


Paid to study, or paid to work?

The threshold question that must be answered before a payment may be considered a non-taxable scholarship, fellowship or grant is this - is the student being paid to study or paid to work?
The answer to this question depends on each individual situation, but hinges on whether the student's activities are primarily to further the student's education and training, or whether the University is the primary beneficiary of the student's activities. Some key questions to ask are:
The answers to these questions will determine the treatment of the payment. It may be all scholarship, fellowship or grant; all compensation for services; or some combination.

Nonresident Alien Recipients

Nonresident alien recipients of scholarships, fellowships or grants may be subject to federal income tax withholding on the portion that is taxable. The tax rate is generally 14%, but may be reduced under an income tax treaty. Contact the Payroll Department for further information.
Additional Information
For more information on Scholarships and Fellowships, please review IRS Publication 520 at (PDF).

Official reports and documents for the University of South Alabama faculty and staff are available in Adobe .PDF format. If you already have the Adobe Acrobat Reader you're all set to download. If not, you can download the FREE Acrobat Reader by clicking the graphic below:
Get Acrobat Reader
University of South Alabama   Contact Us
Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.