Early Arrival Program
The University of South Alabama's official Fall Move-In Weekend is scheduled for August 17 – 18, 2013 (Saturday - Sunday). Residence Hall Opening for returning students is scheduled for August 13 – 16, 2013 (Tuesday – Friday). Students are strongly encouraged to arrive during the Saturday of Fall Move-In Weekend if possible, as we are able to provide the best service to you on that day (Jag-Guide assistance, community/hall programming, parking & traffic control, staff availability, & other resources).
USA Housing & Residence Life recognizes that some students may need to move in earlier than the scheduled opening of residence halls in order to meet academic or department requirements. An Early Arrival Program is offered for students who have an active Housing assignment & a documented, University-related need to move into their fall housing assignment prior to Residence Hall Opening. Approval for early arrival will be determined by USA Housing & Residence Life following the guidelines below.
To be eligible for the Early Arrival Program, a student must have an active Housing assignment & meet one or more of the following criteria:
Some of the groups using this service in the past include:
- Student is employed by a program, department, or college that requires them to start working prior to the start of the fall semester.
- Student is associated with a program, department, or college that has invited or requested their participation in a pre-fall semester training or orientation program.
- USA Marching Band
- USA Athletic Groups (i.e. Football, Soccer, Track & Field)
- USA Academic Programs (i.e. Engineering, Nursing, Honors, Bridge)
- Orientation Leaders
Costs Associated With Requests?
12.75 nightly rate for all approved early residence hall move-ins will be charged starting from the date of arrival until the date the halls open ( see Early Arrival Nightly Rate Sheet
). This charge is to cover the cost of staffing, services, & utilities required to accommodate early move-ins. Any students who are required to return to campus prior to the scheduled opening of residence halls should keep this charge in mind.
All requests received after August 1st may be subject to a late charge of $50.00 in addition to the $12.75 nightly rate.
All early arrival charges will be assessed to the students' account (PAWS) unless the sponsoring department/unit requests to be billed for the charges.
For Individual Residents - Deadline is Aug. 1st
Eligible students (based on the above criteria) who have confirmed their need to arrive early for fall move-in with their employer or the USA program inviting them to participate in pre-fall quarter training or orientation programs should complete the online request form
as soon as possible.
For Members of a USA Group or Department - Deadline is Aug. 1st
- Completed forms may be emailed ( email@example.com).
- The student will receive an e-mail to their University email account outlining the status of their request.
- For those receiving approval, the e-mail will include specific instructions for their early move-in (including check-in date, time, & key pick-up location).
- If you are unsure of your status, please contact Sharon Davis by e-mail ( firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 251-460-6185.
- Students who wish to be considered for the early arrival program after the August 1st submission deadline may still submit their request. If approved, the student may be subject to a late charge of $50.00 in addition to the $12.75 nightly rate.
Eligible members (based on the above criteria) interested in requesting an early fall move-in should contact the program coordinator for their group for information about early arrival. The program coordinator for the group may then submit the request for all eligible group members to Housing & Residence Life. If the program coordinator instructs you to submit your own request, please follow instructions above for individual residents.
For Members of the USA Jaguar Marching Band who will be living on-campus
Students who will be living in on-campus housing & who are in the Jaguar Marching Band:
- Make sure you have completed the online Intent Form for the Jaguar Marching Band
- Please do not fill out an early arrival request form (found on this page) for band camp
- The Jaguar Marching Band will submit your early arrival paperwork for you
- The Jaguar Marching Band will pay for your early move-in fees
- For more information, call 251-460-6136
- Not all requests to arrive early can be granted as some rooms are unavailable until the standard Move-In weekend. If this applies to your room you will be notified via University email that you cannot participate in the Early Arrival Program. The earliest move-in period for these residents will be August 17, 2013.
- If you are approved for an early arrival, please be aware that many services may not yet be fully operational. In some instances, you may need to adjust your schedule or find alternative options until the residence halls are officially open. For instance, the on-campus dining locations do not open until Saturday, August 17th at 4:00pm.
- If you will be sharing a room, please remember that your roommate(s) will be joining you in a few days. We strongly recommend that you wait to make final decisions regarding sleeping spaces & furniture configurations until your roommate(s) arrive & decisions can be made jointly.
Fall Move-In Information
- Read more about Fall Move-In Weekend