About Global USA
Home: About Global USA
About Global USA
INTERNATIONAL ADMISSIONS AND STUDENT SERVICES
ENGLISH LANGUAGE CENTER
OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION
Global USA is a centralized service provided by the many different offices in the University of South Alabama systems that support the international efforts of our faculty, staff and students.
USA is truly a global campus, from the over 1000 international students (2011) who come to the United States and specifically to the University of South Alabama to study to the USA students who study, intern and do clinical rotations as well as community service abroad.
It would most certainly not be an overstatement to say that the vast majority of USA faculty (3,000+) have contacts, collaborations and ongoing work with colleagues around the world. Many of our faculty indeed are ‘internationals’ in the broadest sense of having come to the US themselves as students, and graduated from universities both abroad and in the US. Many of our faculty have roots in their own family’s global heritage that may even go back to the more recent historical migration of people from many regions of the world to the US.
USA is truly a welcoming environment where students, their families and friends can most certainly become familiar and active in the complete GLOBAL USA experience whether it be through study on the USA campus, research collaborations around the world, or through study, intern and work abroad. These experiences clearly are not limited to the on campus experience as USA is situated in perhaps what is the 21st century’s most rapidly developing international city and state in the United States. With the arrival of Airbus and the aerospace industry as well as with the continued presence of shipbuilders such
Indian Dancers at USA
as Austal or the steel industry such as Thyssenkrupp AG or the nearly 500 foreign development investments in Alabama
we can rightfully say the world is truly the University of South Alabama’s campus!
The links on the Global Gateway
page hopefully will provide you with a brief overview of this continuing and exciting adventure where there are no limits to our students’ imagination and future in the truly global world of all disciplines and careers.
Feel free to contact the USA Office of International Education for more information
Jim Ellis, PhD, Director
USA Office of International Education
Maps and Directions
- In 2007, the University of South Alabama developed a Strategic Diversity Plan is to define and clearly identify, within a legally sustainable structure, goals and measurable outcomes for diversity at the University of South Alabama. The University recognizes and values the contributions made by African-American and other under-represented populations and desires to make the University an even more attractive and inclusive place for people of all races, ethnicities, faiths and cultures to study and work in a supportive, diverse community. Please go to USA’s site Strategic Diversity Plan for complete information.
- The Office of International Education, Study Abroad, Immigration Coordination, English Learning Center, and the Office of International Admissions and Student Services are all located on USA’s main campus in Mobile, Alabama. Please go to our Staff Directory for contact information or here for all campus maps and directions.
Ways to Support OIE
- International Education is a crucial aspect of the University of South Alabama academic experience both on and off campus, within the US and abroad. Whether students and scholars are from abroad or residents of the State of Alabama, the international education experience on the USA campus or around the world provides the needed personal, professional and academic framework needed by our students, faculty and staff and most importantly, for the future of our state and nation.
The increasingly complex international trade relations, the urgent needs of developing nations, concern for the preservation of our global ecology and the constant goal of world peace require that today's students be concerned with the world at large, appreciate and respect cultures and nations other than their own, and graduate with skills necessary to live and work effectively in an international context. Clearly the emphasis on international education at USA and its graduates will help strengthen global understanding and build a foundation for the future of our state.
Through support from our graduates, families, friends and the business community we can augment existing support provided by the Colleges and the Office of International Education for study abroad programs, international students and scholars, and other programs and initiatives of our faculty and students. Whether this is through contributions for study abroad scholarships, faculty development grants to further internationalize curricula, endowed faculty chairs in world regions, lecture series, or for other purposes, this support for the USA International Education mission is crucial to our graduates.
- At this time we would like for you to consider a designated gift to a specific international education activity, program, or existing fund, or to make an unrestricted gift to OIE or your academic unit of choice, allowing us flexibility to embark on new initiatives and respond to pressing needs.
USA Endowment for Education Abroad Scholarships - providing scholarship support to enhance the student participation and opportunities for integrated academic study towards their degree at USA.
State of Alabama Legislature and U.S. Senate Resolutions on Study Abroad
USA International House "Experience in International Living"
International Education Gift, Development and Programming Fund - to provide the Office of International Education with funding resources to support faculty and student initiatives and fostering international understanding and exchange
International Education Memorial fund - to provide for the future of special international activities in the memory of close friends, alumni, graduates and family members.
Specific Colleges and departments may also have designated funding needs for international education initiatives within these units.
- For more information on contributing to the future of international education at the University of South Alabama please contact or visit one or more of the following offices:
Office of International Education
Holly Hudson, Director
Faculty Court South #12
5870 Alumni Circle
University of South Alabama
© 2013 University of South Alabama
| Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: October 20, 2012