text only

For Students
For Parents
For Faculty and Staff
About Global USA
Staff Directory
Home: For Parents
For Faculty and Staff
At the University of South Alabama, members of the faculty and administration play central roles in the work of the Office of International Education and serve as key advisors, allies and advocates for all of our students and for study abroad activities. Below is information and links provided to assist faculty and staff in participating in International Education but is by no means a complete “one stop” resource center. Be sure to visit Global Gateway and specific department sites for additional links or contact the Office of International Education for further assistance.  

Fulbright and Other Funding
Study Abroad
Travel Regulations / Insurance
Research Resources
Scholar / Department Checklist
Fulbright and Other Funding
Study Abroad
Travel Regulations / Insurance
Research Resources

Scholar / Department Checklist
The document linked here is a brief informational checklist for international collaboration agreements involving the exchange of scholars coming to the University of South Alabama. The following points outlined in detail in the linked document should be discussed with and by the hosting USA academic unit(s) hosting the collaboration and scholars. The University of South Alabama hosting unit should be prepared to discuss the following: International Student Admissions; Access to University Services (library, computing, recreation center, office space, etc.) and campus photo ID; Enrollment in classes, tuition and fees including related health tests and immunizations required for enrollment; Health Test and Immunizations (recommended as well as required for enrollment in classes); Health Care Access and Insurance (minimum US DOS requirements and recommended
coverage); Housing on and off campus (availability considerations); Banking and US Social Security Number (SSN) or US Internal Revenue Service Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN); Employment Limitations and Prohibitions (immigration regulations); USA Office of Research Compliance and Assurance screening; US Immigration Compliance officers at the University of South Alabama International Collaborations and Initiatives Support Contacts. For additional information email: intledu@usouthal.edu- Subject: Exchange Visitors/Scholars.  
Common Abbreviations for Immigration  

Fulbright and Other Funding
USA Faculty and staff should be aware of the Fulbright Program and many OTHER grant/fellowship/ funding opportunities listed below. For additional opportunities please check with the USA Research and Sponsored Programs office.  
Deadlines vary however for Fulbright and others they begin as early as August 1 of each year and continue into the Fall semester. For details on all the Fulbright programs please check the links below or go to http://www.cies.org/. Note the Scholar in Residence and Occasional Lecturer programs that offer great opportunities for college and academic unit resources for short term programming.  
MSU International and Foreign Grant Makers database  
Selected Research in the opportunities  
American Councils Website for Research Fellowships  
German Academic Exchange (DAAD) Support for Faculty  
Selected Fulbright Programs:  
Fulbright Programs for U.S. Scholars (Deadline August 1)
Programs that offer U.S. faculty, administrators and professionals grants to lecture or do research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields, or to participate in seminars. Traditional, Chairs, IEA Seminars...  
Fulbright Specialists Program is designed to provide short-term academic opportunities (two to six weeks) for U.S. faculty and professionals. - Open process.  
Fulbright Scholar in Residence program  
Deadline: October
The Worldwide Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program brings visiting scholars and professionals from abroad to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities for one semester or one academic year.  
Fulbright Occasional Lecturer Program (OLP)  
The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) provides travel awards through the Occasional Lecturer Program (OLP), which enable Fulbright Visiting Scholars who are currently in the U.S. to accept guest lecturing invitations at colleges and universities. Open application process.  
Fulbright European Union Scholar-in-Residence Program is to strengthen expertise in European Union affairs by bringing to U.S. campuses scholars from the European Union. Deadline: October -  
Fulbright Programs for Visiting Scholars  
Programs that support the research and teaching of visiting (Non-U.S.) scholars at U.S. colleges and universities. Traditional, Visiting Specialists, Scholar-in-Residence, Occasional Lecturer, European Scholar-in-Residence...  
Fulbright Scholar Grants for Institutions  
Opportunities for U.S. institutions to host Fulbright Visiting Scholars and professionals from abroad to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities. Scholar-in-Residence, Visiting Specialists, Occasional Lecturer, European Scholar-in-Residence...  
Fulbright - Hays Group Programs Abroad (GPA)  
Deadline typically in first week of October each year, announced in August. Grants to support overseas projects in training, research, and curriculum development in modern foreign languages and area studies for teachers, students, and faculty engaged in a common endeavor. Projects may include short-term seminars, curriculum development, group research or study, or advanced intensive language programs. Three categories: Short-Term Seminars - A Curriculum Development Team - Group Research or Study Projects -- details at:  
Fulbright Global Programs for U.S. and non-U.S. Scholars  
Programs that offer joint collaborative opportunities for U.S. and non-U.S. scholars, alumni and institutions. New Century, Specialists, Visiting Specialists, Scholar-in-Residence, Occasional Lecturer, European Scholar-in-Residence.  
US Department of Education Grants in International Education and Foreign Language Studies domestic programs are designed to strengthen the capability and performance of American education in foreign languages and in area and international studies.  
Fulbright Teacher and Administrator Exchange program If you are aware of anyone teaching in the K-12 system there is an opportunity as well for US K-12 teachers through this program. Their deadline is in October.  
International Research Experiences for Students (IRES) The International Research Experiences for Students (IRES) component of the program supports groups of U.S. undergraduate or graduate students conducting research abroad in collaboration with foreign investigators.  
Germany’s Alexander von Humboldt Foundation awards ten German Chancellor Fellowships annually to young professionals in the private, public, not-for-profit, cultural and academic sectors who are citizens of the United States. Prior knowledge of German is not a prerequisite. The German Chancellor Fellowship provides for a stay of one year in Germany for professional development, study, or research. Applicants design individual projects and decide at which institutions or organizations to pursue them. Successful candidates have come from such fields as government, social and policy sciences, law, journalism, communications, management, finance, economics, architecture, public service, the humanities, the arts, and environmental affairs. Candidates from the life sciences and engineering will be considered if their topics have a compelling social or humanistic dimension. For deadlines and additional information go to: http://www.humboldt-foundation.de/pls/web/wt_show.text_page?p_text_id=4074  
French American Cultural Exchange - formerly known as FACSEA, is a nonprofit organization, dedicated to nurturing French-American relations through innovative international projects in the arts, education, and cultural exchange. FACE offers institutional grants for institutional partnerships including: the Partner University Fund, French Heritage Language Program, etc. Check their web site for more information. Deadlines vary.  
The Global Studies Grant for Faculty Travel and Professional Development  

Study Abroad
Study Abroad Program Proposals:  
Want to develop a program abroad? Take a group of students abroad as part of a class activity? Please complete this form and submit well in advance of any program activities involving students abroad.  
Forum on Education Abroad:  
USA is an institutional member of the Forum on Education Abroad. The Forum on Education Abroad is the only organization whose exclusive purpose it is to serve the field of education abroad. Recognized by the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission as the Standards Development Organization (SDO) for education abroad, the Forums Standards of Good Practice are recognized as the definitive means by which the quality of education abroad programs may be judged. These standards can be found at:  
Faculty opportunities to Teach/Lead Study Abroad Programs  

Travel Regulations / Insurance
NOTE: Travel to countries which the U.S. Department of State has issued travel restrictions or declared a high risk area are excluded under most major medical and travel assistance policies (coverage for such travel may be available under special coverage options – check with each provider). Most policies have significant exclusions, read all policies with great care.  
USA International Education Travel Recommendations  
For faculty, staff, and students USA carries a blanket policy with FrontierMEDEX for travel abroad that is PREAPPROVED and includes coverage for major medical benefits, medical evacuation, security evacuation, natural disaster assistance, repatriation of remains, and 24/7 emergency assistance services anywhere in the world. Go to Contact 24/7 for more information and how to enroll.  

Research Resources
© 2013 University of South Alabama | Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: October 31, 2012
Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.