Home: Get a Passport
Get a Passport!
USA encourages all students, faculty, staff and their families to join the national initiative for all US citizens to get a passport and study/travel abroad. Get your passport and open up a lifetime of adventure and possibility!
- All passports must be valid for at least six months PAST the last day you will be abroad. Airlines and/or immigration authorities may deny you passage if your passport expires earlier.
- The time it takes to process and receive a passport is usually 4 to 6 weeks, but during busy times it may take up to 10 weeks. There are expedited options at a more expensive rate.
US Citizens: How to Apply For a Passport
- Follow this link to the US Department of State and follow the steps for First Time Applicants.
- Get two passport photos—make sure they meet the requirements. Most Passport Acceptance Facilities will take a photo on site, but be sure to confirm before going. For a small price, some places such as Walgreens, CVS, or the Post Office will take your Passport photos and follow the correct requirements.
- Click for a Passport Acceptance Facility.
US Citizens: How to Renew Your Passport
Not a US Citizen?
- Check with your home country embassy or consulate for instructions regarding your passport. All US legal permanent residents must have a valid passport for their country of citizenship. If you need a US travel document please go to the USCIS website.
Links for Traveling Abroad Resources, Safety, and Health
© 2013 University of South Alabama
| Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: July 9, 2012