Department of Campus Recreation - Intramural Sports
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
Registration Dates and Deadlines
SGA Pavilion/IM Facilities/ Walk/Run Form
Intramurals on Facebook
The Sports Page
Intramural Sports Home
Campus Recreation Home
Student Affairs Home
Intramural Sports Game Rules
The Intramural Program establishes the official rules for all intramural sports. Team managers are responsible for keeping team members informed of the rules governing the sport in which they are involved.
FLAG FOOTBALL GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
The rules governing flag football will be the NIRSA Flag Football Rulebook.
A rulebook can be checked out from the Intramural Program anytime prior to or during the season. A brief outline of the basic rules is as follows:
1. Teams shall consist of seven players for the men and women games and eight players for
2. All players are eligible receivers.
3. Flag football is a non-contact sport with screen blocking the primary strategy for delaying an
4. Players are considered “down” after an opponent pulls their flag belt off.
5. Games shall consist of two 18-minute halves with a 5-minute half time.
6. Overtime will be played in all games that end in a tie.
7. Each team is allowed two time-outs per half. The clock will run during the entire game but will
stop on all whistles in the last minute of each half. Specific timing regulations are covered in
the NIRSA Rulebook.
8. In Co-Rec games, the teams will consist of equal numbers of male and female players. When
teams are short players, there cannot be more than one extra male player then female players
on the field at one time.
VOLLEYBALL GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
1. Teams shall consist of six players per team.
2. There is free substitution during dead balls.
3. A match shall consist of a best of three series rally scoring.
4. The official shall call for a replay on any point in which they are in doubt.
5. All players must wear approved court shoes.
6. A team must start with at least four players.
7. In Co-Rec games, the teams will consist of equal numbers of male and female players. When
teams are short players, there cannot be more than one extra male player than female players
on the court at one time.
BASKETBALL GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
1. One former varsity basketball athlete is allowed on a team roster.
2. The game will consist of two 18-minute halves with a 5-minute half time.
3. Teams must wear similar colored jerseys with visible permanently affixed numbers.
4. Each team will be allowed two time-outs per half.
5. Overtime periods will be 3 minutes with the clock stopping in the last one minute.
6. Players must wear non-marking court shoes.
7. Teams must sign intramural roster/score sheets ten minutes prior to tip-off.
8. All other basketball rules will be interpreted from the National Federation High School Rulebook.
9. Males are not allowed to touch the ball in the lane during Co-Rec games. Male players may
not land in
the lane after attempting a shot from outside the lane.
10. The composition of a Co-Rec team will be three female and two male players.
11. Male players cannot guard female players at any time. Penalties range from points awarded
and player warnings.
SOFTBALL GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
1. Metal spikes are not allowed. All players must wear athletic shoes.
2. Games will be 50 minutes or seven innings, whichever comes first. Tie games will continue
until there is a winner.
3. A pitched ball must have an arc between 6 – 12 feet from the ground.
4. Umpires will call the ball a strike if it is in a reasonable hitting area.
5. A team must have at least eight players in order to start the game.
6. A team manager must provide a game lineup to the umpire at least ten minutes prior to the
7. Notify the umpire if you intend to intentionally walk the batter. The batter will automatically
advance to first.
8. A ten run rule will be in effect after the 4th inning.
9. Extra hitter position is allowed
10. Bat restrictions will be in effect, only intramural bats will be allowed.
11. Restricted flight GOLD DOT softballs are mandatory for both teams.
12. Teams will consist of ten players, five men and five women. Teams can start with no less than
eight players. Co-Rec games can never have more than one extra male player than female.
13. The batting order must alternate gender. There cannot be two consecutive male hitters.
Choice of leadoff batter is left to the team.
14. Player positions are left to the teams’ discretion but they must be able to defend their position.
15. Females may elect to walk after a male walk.
SOCCER GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
1. A team will consist of eight players.
2. The game will consist of two twenty –five minute halves with a running clock.
3. Teams must supply their own soccer balls.
4. Any slide tackle from behind is an automatic red card.
5. All rules will be in accordance with National Federation Soccer Rules, with the Intramural
Program having complete discretion over all interpretation of said rules.
6. Shootouts will determine all overtime winners.
7. Co-Rec teams will consist of four men and four women with the goalie having to be a male.
8. If a female scores the goal will count for two points.
9. Shootouts will be made up of two male and two female shots.
11. All fouls will be direct kicks and a foul in the 18 yard box will be a penalty kick.
12. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated, and warnings will not be given. Consider this
13. We recommend shin guards for all players.
WATERPOLO GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
1. A team will be made up of seven players.
2. A game will consist of two twelve-minute halves with a three-minute half time.
3. In games ending with a tie score the teams will decide the contest with a three-minute sudden
death format followed by a five-player shootout if still undecided.
4. Players may not contact other players’ bodies, only their opponent’s innertube.
5. A player can only tump another player when that player has the ball.
6. A team cannot throw the ball from their redzone over half the distance of the pool.
7. Offensive players may not touch the ball when it or any of their person is in the red zone.
8. Balls along the side of the pool will be whistled dead and a jump ball will occur.
9. Co-Rec will consist of four men and four women players with the goalie having to be a male.
DODGEBALL GAME RULES ( Extended Rules)
University of South Alabama
- Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 (251) 461-1627
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:34 PM
Copyright © 2009 University of South Alabama