We look forward to you joining us at the University of South Alabama!
Orientation can be both exciting and overwhelming. To minimize problems and reduce confusion, we encourage you to take the following steps before you get to campus:
- Register & pay for orientation.
Note: Apply early to assure your preferred Orientation Session
Immunizations, Health Records, & Insurance
- Submit your immunization and health records to the Student Health Center before arriving on campus for orientation. Health Records Form.
- After you have submitted your health records, call the Student Health Center to confirm your records are complete and that health clearance has been granted. Immunizations inquiries can be made at (251) 460-7151.
- Check out USA Insurance, and make plans for how you will manage your health needs while at college. (See Insurance Information.)
Before Academic Advising at Orientation
- Inform the Office of Admissions of any possible college credit you may have earned before Orientation including: AP, IB, ACE, CLEP (official test scores); Dual enrollment (official college transcripts).
- Take all required placement exams.
Obtain your JAG#, PAWS, and University Google Email Account
- Your JAG number (located on your letter of acceptance) will be your source for logging into PAWS, as well as your Student Identification Number.
- PAWS is USA’s Personal Access Web System. PAWS is a web accessible, dynamic, and interactive computer system that provides services to students, faculty, and staff of USA based on their relationship to the University. Important changes and messages will be posted to this site weekly. Visit https://paws.usouthal.edu to log into your PAWS account.
- As a student, much of the business and communication you will conduct will be through your Google Email account. Faculty and staff, various groups and organizations, and students will all use email as their main source of communication and information. Information regarding the activation of your University Google Email account or general FAQ can be found by visiting https://jagmail.southalabama.edu.
- University Google Email accounts are available to all students, faculty, and staff at the University of South Alabama. Your University Google Email account is automatically created when you are accepted to USA by the Office of Admissions.
What to Bring to Orientation
- Photo Identification (so you can get your JAG Card)
- Pen & paper
- Comfortable walking shoes!