text only

University of South Alabama  University of South Alabama USA Home   Web Index   Search   Directories   FAQ

Travel and Entertainment Regulations

General Travel Information
Out-of-State Travel
In-State Travel
International Travel
Local Travel
Team and Other Student Group Travel
Downloadable Forms
USA Home

In-state Travel

Per Diem/Lodging and Meal Allowance

Employees who travel within the State of Alabama (outside the base area) on official University business will be paid a per diem allowance. This allowance is set by State law and is paid to the traveler in lieu of actual expenses for lodging and meals.

The per diem allowance for in-state travel that requires an overnight stay is set at $75.00 per day.

Example: An employee leaves the University at 8:00 a.m., travels to Montgomery, and returns to the University at 11:00 a.m. the next day. This person will be paid $150.00.

Return to the top

Travel Outside the Base Area That Does Not Require Overnight Stay

No travel allowance shall be paid for a trip of less than six hours. The traveler shall be paid a meal allowance of $11.25 for a trip of six to 12 hours. For travel in excess of 12 hours, but not overnight, the traveler shall be paid $30.00.

Example: An employee leaves the University at 7:00 a.m., travels to Montgomery and returns at 3:00 p.m. the same day. This traveler is absent for eight hours and is entitled to a meal allowance of $11.25.

Example: An employee leaves the University at 8:00 a.m., travels to Montgomery and returns to the University at 9:00 p.m. the same day. The traveler is absent for 13 hours and is entitled to an allowance of $30.00.

Federal and State tax regulations consider reimbursement for meal allowances paid to University employees for in-state travel not requiring an overnight stay to be taxable income. The University will report the meal allowance on IRS Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement as earnings, and appropriate taxes will be deducted from the traveler's paycheck.

Return to the top

Base Area

The base area generally consists of the city limits of Mobile. The base area for USA Baldwin County generally consists of the city limits of Fairhope.

Return to the top

Other Allowable Expenses

The Internal Revenue Service requires that receipts be provided for all expenditures that cost $75.00 or more. This requirement is in addition to the receipts required below.

Receipt Required?
Registration fees
Repairs to University vehicles
Gasoline for University vehicles
Rental automobile ( see limitations)
Telephone calls (Note: Personal calls are not allowable)
Tips (for items other than meals)
Taxi fares and limousine service under $25
Taxi fares and limousine service over $25 Yes
(Note: Taxi fares to and from meals are not allowable)

Return to the top

Non-Allowable Expenses (Not All-Inclusive)

Valet services, laundry, alcoholic beverages, recreational activities, tips, personal telephone calls, taxis to and from meals, and other personal expenses will not be reimbursed as part of in-state expenses.

Return to the top

Waiving Per Diem

When an employee's travel expenses are less than per diem allowance, the employee may choose to be reimbursed for the actual cost of travel. In this case, a signed statement in which the traveler voluntarily waives the per diem allowance must be included with the In-state Travel Form (see Exhibit E). The employee should still indicate the hours of departure and return even though the per diem is waived.

Return to the top

Advance Payments

Except for intercollegiate athletics team travel, advance payments of lodging and meals are not allowable for travel within the State.

Return to the top

Local Transportation

Employees will be reimbursed for local personal automobile mileage at the federal standard mileage rate while on official University business. Employees are entitled to a mileage allowance from their base station to their destination and return or for miles actually traveled from home to their destination and return, whichever is less.

Return to the top

Standard Mileage

Employees will be reimbursed standard mileages as stated below for round trips to major University facilities and to the airport:

Campus to Medical Center
Campus to Spring Hill Avenue
Campus to Brookley Center
Campus to Children's and Women's Hospital
Campus to Airport
Campus to Mobile Civic Center
Campus to Baldwin County Campus
Medical Center to Spring Hill Avenue
Medical Center to Brookley Center
Medical Center to Children's and Women's Hospital
Medical Center to Airport
Spring Hill Avenue to Brookley
Spring Hill Avenue to Children's and Women's Hospital
Spring Hill Avenue to Airport
Brookley to Children's and Women's Hospital
Brookley to Airport
Children's and Women's Hospital to Airport
12 miles
16 miles
25 miles
16 miles
13 miles
21 miles
63 miles
6 miles
16 miles
5 miles
26 miles
10 miles
1 mile
25 miles
12 miles
31 miles
25 miles

Return to the top

In-State Travel Form (Exhibit D)

Requests for reimbursement of authorized in-state travel expenses should be submitted on the official In-State Travel Form. It must have the traveler's signature in the certification space, be notarized, and be approved by the department head and the appropriate dean or administrator. The purpose of the trip should be indicated and applicable receipts should be attached. The dates and hours of departure and return, length of stay documentation, points of travel, mode of transportation, mileage (if by private automobile), and the per diem and transportation expense claimed should be indicated on this form. The hours of departure and return should be indicated even though the employee is waiving the per diem reimbursement.

Return to the top


See the General Travel Information section for additional information concerning out-of-state travel.

To download the In-State form you will need Adobe Reader® 3.0 or higher.
Click here to download In-State Travel Form in .PDF format. (807KB)

If you do not have Adobe Reader® click the graphic below to download a free copy.


Return to the top

University of South Alabama   Contact Us
Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.