text only

University of South Alabama University of South Alabama USA Home   Web Index   Search   Directories   FAQ

Travel and Entertainment Regulations

General Travel Information
Out-of-State Travel
In-State Travel
International Travel
Student International Travel Review Procedures
Local Travel
Team and Other Student Group Travel
Downloadable Forms
USA Home

International (Foreign) Travel

General Information

For reimbursement purposes, International (Foreign) Travel follows regular University out-of-state travel regulations. However, due to the risk management requirements of the nature of international/foreign travel, certain additional approval processes are required to insure compliance with all federal regulations and restrictions regarding international/foreign travel.

For purposes of this policy, international/foreign travel is defined as any University of South Alabama related travel outside of the United States as well as United States territories and possessions (also known as “United States Insular Areas”). Travel to Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc should be processed as domestic travel. Refer to: U.S. Department of the Interior for a complete listing of US territories and insular areas. (Faculty Professional Leave or Travel Authorization Forms (page 2 and Exhibit A) are required, however, even for travel to U. S. Insular areas.)

For a detailed review of the approved USA policies pertaining to international travel including travel to destinations with U. S. Department of State travel warnings, please click here.

Approval Procedures for International/Foreign Travel

NO travel plans, reservations or expenditures should be made PRIOR to performing and completing the following procedures for all international/foreign travel:

  • Travelers must complete the International Travel Review Form (ITRF). (which includes the Annual Temporary Export Certification-ATEC). This form can be located online at https://southalabama-ie.terradotta.com.
  • Travelers should complete all departmental, college or administrative travel approval forms and insure that they are appropriately approved. Information regarding this process can be found in the General Travel Information section of this document.
  • The completed and approved ITRF/ATEC and other documentation received from the Office of International Education should be attached to the approved departmental/college approval forms and submit those forms to the your department / college.
  • All international/foreign travel must be approved by the department chair, dean/administrator, Vice-President and University President.
  • Once approved by the President's Office, travelers should make travel reservations in accordance with procedures outlined in the USA Travel and Entertainment Regulations.

U. S. Export and Control Laws and Regulations

The U. S. government has developed regulations to restrict the export of goods and technology with military potential, prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, advance U. S. foreign policy goals, promote the economy and promote trade. The U. S. Departments of State, Commerce, Homeland Security, Treasury, Defense and Energy each play a role in this process. These regulations have implications for Universities and University employees that conduct certain types of sensitive research abroad and as such, certain items are subject to export control. Additional information can be obtained from the USA Office of Research Compliance and Assurance (251) 460-6625). Other additional resources are as follows:

  • An Export Control Classification Number is assigned by the U. S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in the commerce Control List (CCL). This is the fundamental designation indicating the level of control for an item.
    Refer to http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/exportingbasics.htm on the U. S. Department of Commerce web site.

Other Information

  • Other international travel resources are available from the U. S. Department of State, U. S. Center for Disease Control and Preventions, and the USA Office of International Education.
  • If the international travel is grant funded, the traveler must be in compliance with the Fly America Act of the U. S. Department of Commerce.Additional resources are available from the USA Research Compliance and Assurance Office.
  • If the traveler cancels or changes plans and has already submitted the ITRF documentation, please contact the Office of International Education with the updated information.
  • Travel to certain countries may be restricted or prohibited based on security, health or other similar considerations. For a complete policy description for employees and students refer to documentation from the USA Office of International Education at http://www.southalabama.edu/departments/international/.
  • Failure to complete the ITRF/ATEC documentation prior to travel will result in non-reimbursement of any travel expense.

For additional information on international/foreign travel, contact the USA Office of International Education or 251-460-7053.

USA Sponsored Group Travel Outside of the United States

Activities that take place outside the continental United States are considered international for the purposes of USA sponsored student travel and must be reviewed by the USA Office of International Education. For additional information contract the USA Office of International Education or 251-460-7053.

If you do not have Adobe Reader® click the graphic below to download a free copy.

get a passport

University of South Alabama   Contact Us
Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.