Web Publishing Procedures
1. Read the following information about Web Publishing at the University of South Alabama:
2. Print the Webmaster Agreement Form, and fill in the requested information. Have your department chair* sign it and mail or FAX to:
University of South Alabama
Computer Services Center
Mobile, Alabama 36688
(251) 414-8122 FAX
*If you are a registered USA student organization, you must have the Office of Campus Involvement (Student Center, room 129) sign the agreement as the department chair.
3. When the USA Webmaster receives the Webmaster Agreement Form, he will:
4. When you receive your e-mail instructions from the USA Webmaster, you should read them carefully, and immediately change your web server account password after you logon the first time.
5. Access the web page authoring information links from the Web Publishing Links page for help with web page development. Non-credit classes in Web Publishing are offered for USA faculty and staff by the Academic Computing section of the Computer Services Center. Please call 460-6161 for more information.
6. Create your web site on your own PC using a Web Authoring software package such as Adobe DreamWeaver Adobe Contribute (supported by Web Services), Cold Fusion, Hotdog, etc. Check your web site pages with a web browser (FireFox, Explorer, etc.) by using the File, Open File menu option for Windows or Macintosh.
7. Test your web site pages for spelling, information content, copyright infringement, correct WWW links, proper user of USA logos and graphics, correct printing, display in various browsers and required web publishing elements.
8. If your web site checks out, the next step is to upload it to the web server. Read FTP Transfer in the Web Publishing Links page for specific information. FTP or Fetch (Mac) to the USA Web Server and transfer your files into your assigned directory.
9. Now open a web browser and enter your URL address on the USA Web Server and repeat your checks.
10. If you have problems with your web site pages, you can correct them on your PC using an editor and re-upload them to the web server. As a precaution, you should backup your original files before you upload changes. This way, if there is a problem you can restore the original file.
11. When you are satisfied with your web site pages, e-mail the USA Webmaster the URL, and name of your home page and it will be linked to the appropriate section(s) of the USA home page after review for required content.
If you have questions about this procedure, please e-mail the Webmaster.
Open the original version of this page.