The goal of the Provost's office is to be a resource for all of the University of Kentucky, with a primary emphasis on enhancing UK's academic excellence and its brand as an institution that focuses on the Commonwealth in ways that have a global impact.
Making those priorities a reality involves cultivating strong and long-lasting partnerships with the campus community and fostering a culture of continuous improvement, trust, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. As such, the Provost's office, under the leadership of Dr. Christine Riordan, is a resource for colleges, deans, students, faculty and staff at the University of Kentucky in many facets of importance:
- The Provost, for example, serves as the chief academic officer of the University of Kentucky. In that capacity, Dr. Riordan oversees and guides the academic programs of the institution and leads in the promotion and development of a set of academic priorities that will be accomplished with the highest possible quality.
- The Provost also oversees academic support and student service units, including the Division of Undergraduate Education, The Graduate School, University Libraries, Student Affairs, the International Center, University Press and Institutional Research, Planning and Effectiveness.
- The Provost works closely with other senior administrators in establishing, implementing, financing and evaluating the major educational, research and service initiatives of the University. The Provost authorizes academic appointments and advises the President on all promotion and tenure decisions.
- The Provost and team help ensure that the University champions core values such as freedom of expression; decency and civility; diversity of intellectual viewpoints and backgrounds; and a spirit of inclusiveness that should enliven a community while strengthening its stability.
- During the 2013-14 academic year, several major initiatives are underway that are critical to achieving the vision of academic excellence and an academic brand that promises the highest quality education, research and service that impacts the Commonwealth and the world. Chief among those initiatives are the development of a six-year strategic plan for the University: "see tomorrow: The University of Kentucky Strategic Plan;" and the continued implementation of a new, values-based financial budget model that promises greater transparency and accountability for how resources are generated and allocated at the University.
The University of Kentucky is an institution with tremendous momentum, with more than $600 million in infrastructure projects approved or underway; the largest public-private residence hall construction initiative in public higher education; an undergraduate core curriculum that is garnering national accolades; recognition for being among the country's leaders in faculty Fulbright Scholars; and a thriving research enterprise, placing UK among the small number of institutions in the country with federal centers in cancer, Alzheimer's and traditional science research.
The momentum is real. But continuing it requires a commitment to a forward-thinking vision, thoughtful change and strategic, intentional planning. The Provost's office is committed to that planning and support for a world-class faculty, staff and student body.
Contact us at:
Office of the Provost
105 Main Building
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0032
Phone: (859) 257-2911
Fax: (859) 257-1333
Kristine M. Hobson is the Provost's Chief of Staff, serving as the principal aide and logistics manager for the Provost. She has been with the University since 1978, spending a majority of her time working in the Graduate School, the Office of the Vice President for Research and, since 2001, in the Office of the Provost.
Jayme Ware is the Administrative Support Assistant for the Office of the Provost. She collaborates with colleges, departments, centers and community partners to coordinate events, conferences, workshops, lectures and programs. Outside the office, she attends Southland Christian Church assisting with the Youth and Children's ministries, and is the proud mother of a beautiful teenager named Courtney.