The “see tomorrow” planning process is designed to engage the entire UK community. There is a multidimensional structure for managing the process, consisting of four oversight committees – the Steering Committee, the Planning Committee, the Communications Committee, and the Integration Committee.
The strategic plan will be reviewed at appropriate times by key stakeholders to insure that we are listening to diverse perspectives and setting a direction that resonates with the UK community. Throughout the process, there will be regular presentations and communications to the UK community to convey findings and receive feedback.
The organizational structure is illustrated below.
Steering Committee (SC)
The Steering Committee includes the Provost (SC Chair), President’s Chief of Staff, EVPFA, EVPHA, and the six Chairs of the Planning Committee’s Working Groups. The SC reports to the President, oversees the process as a whole, and signs off on the final strategic plan presented to the President.
- Establish the structure, process, and timeframe for strategic planning
- Establish guiding principles and key themes
- Ensure effective coordination with the President regarding the strategic planning process
- Ensure regular communication with the Board of Trustees about the strategic planning process
- Establish and charge advisory committees as needed
- Establish clear processes to ensure effective communication and coordination with advisory committees
- Receive ideas and recommendations from the planning committee; provide guidance and responses as needed
- Develop communications plan to promote engagement and information flow to/from internal and external constituencies: trustees, faculty, students, staff, alumni, friends
- Synthesize products from Working Groups and circulate draft strategic plan for comment as appropriate
- Produce final strategic plan
- Ensure implementation through normal institutional operations and management structure
- Assess progress of strategic plan implementation
Integration Committee (IC)
The Integration Committee will be comprised of the Provost, the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Planning, Analytics, & Technologies, the Strategic Planning Director, the Strategic Planning Analyst, and the Strategic Planning Coordinator. This team will be responsible for integrating the work of the six Working Groups of the PC and generating the final strategic plan to be provided to the SC.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the work being done by all six Working Groups and by the PC as a whole
- Identify areas that require additional research/analysis
- Integrate and consolidate PC reports into a cohesive strategic plan
- Create a final deliverable and submit to the SC for review
Planning Committee (PC)
The Planning Committee (PC) will be comprised of faculty, staff, and students nominated by the UK community. The PC will be subdivided into six Working Groups to study each of the strategic plan areas and to generate corresponding reports and recommendations. Each Working Group will have two Co-Chairs.
Working Group Co-Chair Charge
- Oversee the activities of designated Working Group, ensuring that the core values of the UK are upheld throughout the process
- Act as Working Group’s main point of liaison with the Support Teams (Strategic Planning Support Team and Data Analytics Team)
- Ensure that all Support Team requests are submitted in a timely manner
- Collaborate with other Working Group Co-Chairs to share information and identify areas of overlap
- Using the Working Group Handbook, ensure that all responsibilities of the Working Group are fulfilled
Working Group Charge
- Review the research and benchmarking work that has already been conducted in the following six areas. Identify and conduct additional research that may be needed for each assigned area
- Use the guiding questions to identify the strategic priorities and key action items for each area
- Use the guiding questions to identify key metrics and create scorecards for each initiative
- Develop implementation plans and timeline
- Map key resource needs
- Deliver a final report
PC Working Groups
Under the leadership of President Eli Capilouto over the last two years, faculty and staff have conducted a great deal of research, benchmarking and analyses to inform the direction of the UK. Faculty, staff and students are already working on many exciting initiatives with the goal of moving the UK from a good university to a great university. These initiatives can be categorized into six key areas:
- Create a Vibrant Undergraduate Learning Community
- Advance a High Quality Graduate and Professional Education Portfolio
- Cultivate a Robust Research Environment
- Develop a Strong and Sustainable UK Infrastructure
- Create a Positive Work Environment for Faculty and Staff
- Have a Meaningful Impact on the Commonwealth and Community
Strategic Planning Support Team
The PC will be supported by the Strategic Planning Director (team leader) and his/her Administrative Assistant, the Strategic Planning Analyst, and the Strategic Planning Coordinator (.5 FTE). This team will provide:
- Staffing support for scheduling meetings, booking meeting locations, recording minutes, circulating information, printing/copying/binding documents, etc.
- Research support for various areas identified by the PC and the IC, in collaboration with the Data Analytics Team
- Financial support in the form of a small budget for PC meetings, food and beverage, retreats, travel, etc. The Strategic Planning Team is responsible for the review and/or approval of budget requests from the PC and its six Working Groups.
Data Analytics Team (DAT)
The Data Analytics Team will be comprised of three people from the UK’s Academic Planning, Analytics, and Technologies department. The DAT will be responsible for:
- Internal analysis: conducting internal analysis and delivering internal benchmarking reports.
- External analysis: utilizing external consultants as necessary to generate external benchmarking reports.
Communications Committee (CC)
The Communications Committee (CC) will be comprised of members of the UK Public Relations and Marketing team, as well as student, staff, and faculty representatives. The CC develops and oversees execution of the comprehensive strategy for internal and external communications about UK’s strategic planning process. The committee is responsible to the Provost and to the SC.
- Develop a statement of the institution’s goals in communicating about strategic planning
- Establish a detailed plan for accomplishing the stated goals over the entire course of the planning process, and through implementation as appropriate
- Ensure optimal opportunity for input on strategic planning by all constituencies, and also by the local community if/as appropriate
- Ensure that communications plans incorporate a variety of means for effective engagement and take into consideration the latest relevant methods and technologies
- Guide the execution of communications plans
- Consult on a regular basis with the SC to discuss and ensure consensus on communications plans and activities