About the Scholars
Formed in January, 2012, the Scholars are a team of student interns offering "how to" support for faculty and staff users of Blackboard and other instructional technology tools. Our goal is to help faculty and staff select the right tool for each task and learn to use it efficiently and effectively for teaching and learning in physical or virtual classrooms.
Scholars can provide quick answers to many questions via email or Lync instant messaging. For in-depth training needs on specific topics, we can schedule a personal appointment to meet face-to-face in CB 312 or another convenient on-campus location, or meet online via Adobe Connect or Lync.
The Scholars are supervised by Virginia Lacefield and work closely with the ATG's Learning Systems Support staff. We also partner with the Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching and Distance Learning Programs and can arrange referrals if a pedagogical consultation is desired in addition to the technical assistance we offer.
Some of the software, services, and topics we support include:
- Adobe Connect
- Echo 360 and Echo Personal Capture
- iTunes U
- Google Apps
- Creating screen and lecture captures for podcasting or " flipping your classroom"
- General multimedia tools for the classroom, including TurningPoint clickers
- Social media for education - Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogger, YouTube, and more
- Considerations for developing digital media assignments
- ...and much, much more!
Meet the Scholars
Contact the Scholars
The Scholars are generally available M-F, 8 AM - 4 PM. To request help, please use one of the contact options below:
- Call 859-218-HELP (4357) and ask for an appointment with the ATG Scholars
- Message us on Lync - just search for "Blackboard Scholars"
- Email email@example.com - please mention the ATG Scholars in your email
- Visit us in White Hall Classroom Building, room 312 - check the ATG calendar for staffed drop-in hours (coming soon!)
- Explore our online resources at the Academic Technology Training Library
What We Can't Do...
The Scholars are only able to provide training and tutorial support for a limited number of educational technology tools. While we will do our best to support the needs of all faculty and staff clients, the Scholars are not trained to provide general desktop computing support, nor do they have the administrative access required to assist with technical problems related to UK's learning or computing systems (Bb, Connect, email, etc). In addition, while we can provide basic advice and best practice tips for using technology in education, our interns do not have the expertise to answer advanced pedagogical questions or assist with course design.
Questions sent to the Scholars that fall outside of the scope of their service will be redirected to the appropriate UKIT or external support provider.
- For fastest assistance with non-"how to" technical problems or to report a service outage, please contact the APAT Service Desk or your departmental IT support staff.
- For fastest assistance with pedagogical needs, please contact the Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching.