Overview of Project Lifecycle
This process map illustrates the stages from a project's initiation through its close including required elements and checkpoints.
This document contains 12 crucial questions to help guide discussions with sponsors and key stakeholders to validate a potential project: Discussion Guide
Developing the Charter:
- Identify project staff
- Identify Stakeholder Contact person/group
- Confirm Project Manager / Technical Lead / SMG / Service Owner
- Work through the blank project charter and submit to PMO
Project setup in IPMS
- Charter data is imported into IPMS by the PMO
- Tasks, Milestones, Objects are to be further defined and recorded in the project through IPMS by the PM
- See link for examples of Milestones, Objects, Tasks: Milestones, Objects, Tasks
Executing & Monitoring/Controlling Phases
Kick-off meeting with project team
- Identify a regular schedule to meet: Meeting Agenda Template
- Discuss the goals, milestones and tasks of the project
- Add or delete items identified from this discussion in IPMS.
- Review charter with the team and coordinate scheduled events with calendars of key personnel.
- Begin use of a tracking memo that can be posted on a shared website for the personnel
- Utilize the PMO Action Tracking Matrix template as necessary
Keeping your project healthy
- Review metrics run by the PMO or by the PM
- Be flexible in your strategy
- Review Project Flow: Project Flow
- Review Project WBS: Project Work Breakdown Structure
Status and Coordination meetings with project team
- Meet with your team regularly to discuss progress and task completion
- Run reports in IPMS or Business Objects to verify time is getting logged where anticipated.
- Click this link for a demonstration of basic reporting in Business Objects
- Be prepared to present your project to the Management Group
- Coordinate TCO review and record in IPMS.
- Coordinate EARG review and record in IPMS.
- Coordinate Communication Plan review and record in IPMS.
- Coordinate SMG review and record in IPMS.
Pilot testing in Development
- Define a group to test the product
- Define a way to score or evaluate results
- Plan a period for corrections
- Test Plan
- Product is used by actual participants (small group) in real environment
- Communication Plan
- Coordinate release of product to all potential users
- Training Plan
- Provide audio, video, brochure, or training support
- Production/Support Plan
Conduct an After Action Review or Captured Learning Session
- Select members from the core and extended project team for the collaboration session.
- Be sure to include project successes and opportunities for improvement in the discussion.
- Using a template may help structure the quantitative and qualitative feedback from the session
- Load the compiled feedback into the knowledge base or archive for future projects.
- Share the findings with the entire team and other staff on related or similar projects.
Closing the Project
- Alert the PMO the project has been completed.
- Confirm the Service Desk is aware of the launch date and has distributed support documentation.
- Alert Project Staff that time entry should be resolved prior to the project closing.
Links to individual IPMS Training Modules: