Strong passwords are required by link blue. They must be:
- At least eight characters long.
- Non-dictionary words
- Use upper-and lowercase letters.
- Use numbers and special characters (!@#$%...)
- Avoid common phrases, famous quotes, song lyrics, family and pet names.
- Don't use the same password everywhere. (e.g. Facebook and email account).
- Don't share your password with anyone.
- Don't open attachments from unknown senders.
- Be careful about opening attachments from known senders.
- Don't respond to emails that ask you to send your password.
- Don't click on the links in an email.
Malware, Spyware, and Viruses
- Get McAfee Antivirus software installed on your computer and keep it updated.
- Install software to detect malicious software:
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Spybot Search and Destroy
Optionally, you can use software to protect your laptop, should it be stolen. Both Windows and Mac platforms have software available that will encrypt your data.
- Windows EFS
- Built-in BitLocker
- Don't leave laptops, cell phones, or any other electronic devices unattended.
- Use a laptop security cable, even for quick trips to the restroom. Check out our UK-contracted vendors on eBuy ( http://www.uky.edu/Purchasing/ebuy/) for a discount.