Overview of Project Lifecycle
This process map illustrates the stages from a project's initiation through its close including required elements and checkpoints.
This document contains 12 crucial questions to help guide discussions with sponsors and key stakeholders to validate a potential project: Discussion Guide
Developing the Charter:
- Identify project staff
- Identify Stakeholder Contact person/group
- Confirm Project Manager / Technical Lead / SMG / Service Owner
- Work through the blank project charter and submit to PMO
Project setup in IPMS
- Charter data is imported into IPMS by the PMO
- Tasks, Milestones, Objects are to be further defined and recorded in the project through IPMS by the PM
- See link for examples of Milestones, Objects, Tasks: Milestones, Objects, Tasks
Begin with a Stakeholder Analysis
Next, fill in detail with Project Planning
Be sure that the project is aligned with current or previous UKIT Goals. This will insure your efforts are helping not only UKIT, but the entire University as well.
Executing & Monitoring/Controlling Phases
Kick-off meeting with project team
- Identify a regular schedule to meet: Meeting Agenda Template
- Discuss the goals, milestones and tasks of the project
- Add or delete items identified from this discussion in IPMS.
- Review charter with the team and coordinate scheduled events with calendars of key personnel.
- Begin use of a tracking memo that can be posted on a shared website for the personnel
- Utilize the PMO Action Tracking Matrix template as necessary
Keeping your project healthy
- Review metrics run by the PMO or by the PM
- Be flexible in your strategy
- Review Project Flow: Project Flow
- Review Project WBS: Project Work Breakdown Structure
Status and Coordination meetings with project team
- Meet with your team regularly to discuss progress and task completion
- Run reports in IPMS or Business Objects to verify time is getting logged where anticipated.
- Click this link for a demonstration of basic reporting in Business Objects
- Be prepared to present your project to the Management Group
- Coordinate TCO review and record in IPMS.
- Contact Diana Gold [ firstname.lastname@example.org ]
- Coordinate EARG review and record in IPMS.
- Coordinate Communication Plan review and record in IPMS.
- Contact Ashley Tabb [ email@example.com ]
- Coordinate SMG review and record in IPMS.
Pilot testing in Development
- Define a group to test the product
- Define a way to score or evaluate results
- Plan a period for corrections
- Test Plan
- Product is used by actual participants (small group) in real environment
- Communication Plan
- Coordinate release of product to all potential users
- Training Plan
- Provide audio, video, brochure, or training support
- Production/Support Plan
Conduct an After Action Review or Captured Learning Session
- Select members from the core and extended project team for the collaboration session.
- Be sure to include project successes and opportunities for improvement in the discussion.
- Using a template may help structure the quantitative and qualitative feedback from the session
- Load the compiled feedback into the knowledge base or archive for future projects.
- Share the findings with the entire team and other staff on related or similar projects.
Closing the Project
- Alert the PMO the project has been completed.
- Confirm the Service Desk is aware of the launch date and has distributed support documentation.
- Alert Project Staff that time entry should be resolved prior to the project closing.
Links to individual IPMS Training Modules: