University of Florida

Academic Advising Center

Skip to main Content   Local Links   Search   Main Navigation   Quick Links   Resources   Website   Social   Address   What is this view

Additional Useful Information

I want to take courses at another institution this summer, can I do so?

You will need your college’s approval to take courses at another institution in the summer. Meet with an advisor to discuss what the college/major allows to be taken elsewhere and what the college’s process is to get courses approved. Generally, if the credits are to be taken at a public institution in Florida you will have to complete a Transient Student Admission Application on the website. There may be additional requirements of your college or the college you wish to attend. If you want to attend a private or out-of-state institution, there will probably be a different process to get advisor approval. Keep in mind the following information regarding transient coursework:

  • Credits taken elsewhere do NOT calculate into the UF GPA. However, there is no single “GPA”. Most departments will calculate a tracking GPA on the grades in the tracking courses, which usually includes courses taken elsewhere. Some colleges will calculate an ‘all-college’ GPA that includes all college work, regardless of where it is taken. Colleges or majors may also calculate an upper-division GPA (grades on courses once you have attained junior status). Finally, you may find graduate and professional schools calculate an all-college GPA or even other GPAs. Here’s the info about the UF GPA.
  • Only courses taken at one of the twelve State University System schools in Florida will meet the Summer Term Enrollment requirement. However, UF will accept approved credit from any accredited institution.

How do I meet the Summer Term Enrollment Requirement?

Students must complete nine credits before graduation during summer terms at State University System institutions. Coursework at UF, UF coursework via the web while in another location, coursework taken at another SUS school, earning UF credit for an internship in Gainesville or another location, or coursework taken via an approved overseas study program all apply to the Summer Requirement. The coursework does not have to be completed in one summer term.

Students who bring 60 or more transfer credits to UF, regardless of institution, will be exempt from completing the summer requirement at UF. Exam credit does not count toward this, only 60 or more credits transferred prior to UF matriculation from an accredited institution.

For overseas study programs, how each program meets the Summer Term requirement varies: Some will meet all 9 credits (even if 6 credits are taken), while some will meet just the number of credits taken. Here’s the official policy: “However, students who earn six credits through UF-sponsored, UF exchange or approved SUS study-abroad programs during one or two summer terms completely satisfy the summer-term enrollment requirement. In addition, credits earned through any of the study-abroad programs approved by UF during a summer term count toward satisfaction of the summer-term enrollment requirement.” (see link above)

How do I qualify for Dean’s List?

Dean’s List requirements are determined by college. See the Undergraduate Catalog for details. If you have questions, contact an advisor in your college/major.

How do I qualify for President’s Honor Roll?

The requirements for President’s Honor Roll appear in the Undergraduate Catalog. You will not receive notification of this honor, however, a remark that you were named to the President’s Honor Roll is posted to your UF transcript around 30 days after grades post for the previous semester.

I’ve received an invitation from an honorary society, what should I consider before joining?

You can always look on the UF Student Organizations Directory to find any student organization. If the society is not an approved UF organization, then be wary. In addition, look to see if it is simply some sort of line for your resume (e.g., you join and get a certificate, that’s it) or if it is an actual organization that has activities, etc. See Tips for Joining a Healthy Organization.

Main Navigation

Quick Links




Social links


What is this view?

You are using a dynamic assistive view of the University of Florida site. It has all the same data and features of the original site but formatted just with assistive users in mind. It has links and content reorganized to aid assistive users and has controls at the bottom under assistive options that allow you to control key aspects such as font size and contrast colors etc.
This is not a separate text-only site, it's a dynamic view that uses unique technology from Usablenet to give assistive users better, more accessible access to the same content and features as all users that use the graphic view of the site.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.