Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering
Florida’s agricultural industry is one of the largest and most diverse in the nation. As such, it requires a broad and interdisciplinary research approach to ensure its continued prosperity as the population swells and natural resources become increasingly limited. The Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering (ABE) links engineering with life sciences to produce food, feed, fuel, fiber and other products from renewable bio-resources.
115 Fraizer-Rogers Hall
P.O. Box 110570
Gainesville, FL 32611
Administration & Advising
BE Undergraduate Coordinator
AOM Undergraduate Coordinator
Coordinator, Academic Support Services
What do Agricultural & Biological Engineers do?
Agricultural and biological engineers work on activities ranging from aquaculture (raising food, such as fish, that thrive in water) to land farming to forestry; from developing biofuels to improving conservation; from planning animal environments to finding better ways to process food.
Source: U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics
More than 30 faculty members, located in Gainesville and throughout Florida, work with state, national and international agricultural, water management and environmental protection agencies. Gator Engineering faculty also collaborate with the UF-IFAS Space Agricultural and Biotechnology Research and Education Center located at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, the NASA Environmental Systems Commercial Space Technology Center located at UF, and the Florida Center for Renewable Fuels and Chemicals. The ABE department is a leading member of the Southeast Climate Consortium Supported by NOAA and USDA.
Schools & Departments
- Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment
- Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering
- J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Computer & Information Science & Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Department of Materials Science & Engineering
- Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Degree Programs
- Student Affairs
- Distance & Continuing Education