Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
The Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE) was created in 2002 by merging two of the College’s oldest departments. MAE is an internationally recognized group of some 50 faculty, 280 graduate students and 970 undergraduates conducting exciting research and providing both undergraduate and graduate programs.
P.O. Box 116250
Gainesville, FL 32611
Administration & Advising
What do Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers do?
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Mechanical engineers design, develop, build, and test mechanical and thermal devices, including tools other engineers need for their work. Mechanical engineers work on power-producing machines such as generators, engines and turbines, as well as power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing.
Aerospace engineers develop new technologies for use in aviation, defense systems, and space exploration. They may become experts in aerodynamics, thermodynamics, celestial mechanics, propulsion, acoustics, or guidance and control systems. Aerospace engineers design aircraft, spacecraft, satellites, and missiles. They also test prototypes to make sure that they function according to design.
Source: U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics
Department research interests in mechanical engineering are broad in scope, encompassing design and analysis of vehicles, robotics, machinery, thermal and fluid engineering, and energy. Research interests in aerospace engineering deal with all aspects of flight such as aerodynamics, propulsion, structural mechanics, and dynamics and control.
Schools & Departments
- Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment
- Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering
- J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Computer & Information Science & Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Department of Materials Science & Engineering
- Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Degree Programs
- Student Affairs
- Distance & Continuing Education