- President Barack Obama visited Lehman College today to announce the formation of the My Brother’s Keeper Alliance, a new independent nonprofit foundation that aims to address opportunity gaps among minority boys and young men. President Obama Launches Major New Initiative at Lehman College.
- Lehman College students took third place in the Student Quiz Bowl at the American College of Sports Medicine’s Greater New York Regional Chapter spring conference earlier this month. Lehman Students Take Third Place at ACSM Student Quiz Bowl.
- Leslie Vale Zapata sets no limits on what she can do; and once she puts her mind to something, it’s as good as done. Art Major Finds Inner Peace, Success Through Sculpting.
- “This conversation is about the characteristics we believe students possess upon graduation from Lehman College,” says Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Anny Morrobel-Sosa. “These characteristics should be reflective of Lehman’s mission and core values, and they should be expressed through the totality of a student’s curricular and co-curricular experience. Our conversation is also about who we are and who we aspire to be…it is about how we will strengthen, design, and build the future Lehman.” A Conversation About Lehman College Graduates.
- The 35th Annual Arthur Sweeny, Jr. Lecture will be delivered this year by 2009 Nobel Laureate Thomas A. Steitz, the Sterling Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry at Yale University. Prof. Steitz, who will deliver his talk, “From the Structure and Function of the Ribosome to New Antibiotics,” is also an Investigator at the Howard [...] Nobel Laureate Thomas A. Steitz to Deliver the 35th Annual Sweeny Lecture.
- The goal of the Center is to foster interdisciplinary collaboration among students and faculty in the departments of chemistry, math and computer science, and physics and astronomy; and to build a robust science community. A Science Community Grows at Lehman.
- Lehman College junior Allie Bernasconi has been named the CUNY Athletic Conference/Hospital for Special Surgery Scholar-Athlete of the Month, for March, 2015. Bernasconi of the women’s indoor track and field program, made a name for herself nationally while maintaining a strong GPA in Lehman’s Sociology program. “It’s definitely a good experience because I’ve gotten a lot [...] Bernasconi Named CUNYAC/HSS Scholar-Athlete of the Month.
- The Bronx Institute at Lehman College is on a roll with the acquisition of yet another major grant. This one is a six-year $1.9 million grant from the New York State Higher Education Services Corp. for the Institute’s acclaimed GEAR UP program. Bronx Institute Nets New $3.8 Million Grant for GEAR UP Program.
- Professor of music Penny Prince has a busy spring ahead of her. During the Dean’s Award on April 16, the Lehman College community will get a peek at her new production of Cinderella when two songs are performed. Then, on April 22, Prof. Prince will be honored by the Music Educators’ Association of New York (MEANY) for her inspiring teaching style. Lehman Professor Honored for Her Commitment to Collaborative Teaching.
- “Are we ready?” That was the question Francisco Marmolejo, the Lead Tertiary Education Specialist of the World Bank, posed as he delivered the 46th Annual Herbert H. Lehman Memorial Lecture in the Lovinger Theatre. Throughout his thought-provoking and entertaining talk Marmolejo, stressed the many ways that the world has changed in his lifetime, and the [...] Francisco Marmolejo Delivers the 46th Annual Herbert H. Lehman Memorial Lecture.
- Lehman College is offering students an academic “guarantee.” And if students agree to the conditions, they’ll be able to enroll in an innovative degree program that is the first of its kind at any CUNY institution. It’s the college’s new Fast 4 Business program, launched this semester and offering a bachelors degree in business administration [...] Lehman Announces the Fast 4 Business “Guarantee”.
- New York is the city that never sleeps – or pays attention when pedestrians cross busy Midtown streets. At least that’s what a new study published in the Journal of Community Health co-authored by Professor Danna Ethan (Health Sciences) and featured in the New York Daily News recently found. Professor Ethan and her co-authors observed distracted [...] Study Co-Authored by Lehman Professor Featured in the New York Daily News.