A Bio-Environment for Future Scientists of the WorldAs science-related programs continue to flourish at Kent State Stark, the new Sciences Building, which began construction in Spring 2014, will play a critical role in providing the necessary resources to enhance student experiences and to attract the brightest scientific minds to Stark County. Jeffrey Carr Construction, of Massillon, was appointed to construct the building, which was designed by the Columbus-based architecture firm, Baxter Hodell Donnelly Preston Inc.
The building will occupy approximately 41,140 square feet with the renovation of approximately 5,250 square feet in existing Main Hall East Wing space. It is expected to open for Fall 2015 classes.
Features of this $17 million project include:
- Teaching gardens and an outdoor classroom.
- Additional lab space with contemporary designs to promote active learning in the sciences and allow each specialty to have its own laboratory and equipment, enhancing student learning and safety.
- Research space for students to gain experiential learning through collaborative research with faculty.
- Eco-friendly building features science displays to inform and engage students in all disciplines while also encouraging environmental responsibility.
- Expanded nursing simulation labs to prepare students for the clinical setting through practice and observation.
- Additional computer labs to benefit a variety of majors in science, communication, business and computer science.
This building will anchor the sciences at the campus and provide a platform for increased student research through hands-on education and active learning. The space is designed to meet current and future student demands and expectations.
As the only public university in Stark County, it is crucial that we continue to provide a high-quality and affordable education. The new Sciences Building allows us to keep up with the pace of science education in order to live up to that standard.
The building is being designed to achieve LEED Gold certification.
View Construction PhotosPHOTOS
Live Construction Camera(View using Firefox, Chrome or Safari)
Sciences Building Camera Feed
(does not display with Explorer 11)
IMAGE: Sciences Building Cake
A cake-sized replica of the new Sciences Building at Kent State University at Stark was on display during the May 15 groundbreaking ceremony.
Sciences Building Slideshow
View Sciences Building Slideshow (pdf)
Sr. Facility Manager
131B Main Hall