Summer Financial Aid
2015 Summer Financial Aid
Before applying for summer aid, be sure you understand:
- Using grants, loans or work-study during the summer may affect how much financial aid you have available for fall and/or spring.
- You may want to speak with a member of the financial aid staff to see how your future aid may be affected.
Guest students interested in using aid for the summer must contact their home institution for financial aid processing and awarding. Kent State does not process financial aid for guest students.
How to Apply for Summer Financial Aid
- You must be registered for summer classes before your summer aid request is processed by the Financial Aid Office.
- Complete the 2015-16 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. FAFSA results must be received in the Financial Aid Office in order to process your summer aid request.
- Complete the Kent State University Summer 2015 Financial Aid Request Form online as soon as possible. You can view your awards on FlashLine.
- New Direct Student and Parent Loan Borrowers must complete Entrance Loan Counseling and a Master Promissory note at studentloans.gov. Instructions can be found at: www.kent.edu/financialaid/signing-your-mpn-student.
- If you have been selected for Verification or do not meet the Standards of Academic Progress, your summer request form will not be processed until your verification or academic appeal has been approved.
- If you meet eligibility requirements for the Pell Grant or TEACH Grant, you will be awarded a semester of eligibility for summer.
- If you borrow a Federal Direct Loan for summer, your eligibility for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans will be determined. You must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduates; 4 credit hours for graduates) to be eligible for a loan.
- Notify the Student Financial Aid Office if your summer plans change or you take fewer or more credit hours than you indicated on your summer aid request form. Contact us at 330-244-3251.
Federal TEACH Grant 1 1
Federal Direct Loan 6 4
Federal Parent PLUS Loan 6 Not Eligible
Federal Graduate PLUS Loan Not Eligible 4
Federal Work Study* 6 6
Ohio College Opportunity Grant 1 Not Eligible
Pennsylvania State Grant 6 Not Eligible
Scholarships** 12 9
*Enrollment not required during summer
**May vary depending on scholarship
- Summer aid processing begins in April.
- Check the status of your Summer Aid Request in FlashLine.
- Summer aid will be disbursed on May 30 for Intersession, Open Learning, Full-Term, Summer I and Summer II.
- Summer aid will be disbursed on July 6 for those enrolled in Summer III only.
- Last day to apply for summer financial aid is July 31, 2015.
Your final financial aid award is based on the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled at the end of the 100% refund period for each class. You should drop or add any classes prior to this date in order to receive a financial aid award that corresponds with your enrollment status. If you change your schedule after the applicable date, you risk having your financial aid adjusted or canceled.
Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
Federal regulations require that Kent State University review the academic progress of students who apply for and/or receive federal financial aid, whether they are a previous aid recipient or not.