Verification for the 2017-2018 Award Year
What is verification?
A student’s application for federal financial aid may be selected for a process called Verification. Verification is the process used to check the accuracy of the information provided by the student applicant and family when applying for Federal Student Aid.
Applications for verification may be selected by one of the following methods:
- An applicant selected by the FAFSA Processor
- An applicant submits an application that ABAC has reason to believe contains inaccurate information
The verification procedures are governed by the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, and Subpart E of 34 CFR Part 668 “Verification of Student Aid Applicant Information Regulations,” published in Federal Register on April 29, 1994 and November 29, 1994.
Why is my file being verified?
While there are several reasons why a student may be selected for verification. Some of the most common reasons are:
- The submitted FAFSA application has incomplete data.
- The data on the FAFSA application appears to contradict itself.
- The FAFSA application has estimated information on it.
- You changed some of the information on the FAFSA.
- Random selection
- Unique for the 2017-2018 aid year: The tax information entered on the 2017-2018 FAFSA contradicted the tax information from the 2016-2017 FAFSA (2015 taxes for both years).
How will I know I have been selected?
Notification is sent to the student via mail/email. Students can also check BannerWeb to see outstanding requirements.
How do I complete the verification process?
The ABAC Office of Financial Aid has partnered with the School Servicing Center (SSC) to streamline and expedite the verification process for our students. The School Servicing Center is a partnership between the College Foundation, Inc (CFI) and Financial Aid Services, INC (FAS) to offer remote processing to institutions for the standard verification of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
If your FAFSA record is selected for standard verification, we will transmit your information electronically to the School Servicing Center, they will process it and determine what information they need to confirm the information you submitted on your FAFSA. After they have received your documentation, you will be able to log onto their website at sscwp.org and view what information they need and submit it electronically. Click here to learn more about the School Servicing Center.
The School Servicing Center will handle the majority of students selected for verification. However, the ABAC Office of Financial Aid will still request documents to resolve C flags, special circumstances, and statements of identity. Click here to learn more about the documents that are most commonly requested by the Office of Financial Aid.
How long do I have to complete the Verification process?
Students are expected to apply for aid prior to the financial aid deadline and, if selected, complete the verification process as soon as possible. All required documents should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. Any delay in submitting all required documents will cause a delay in the awarding of financial aid resulting in the student being responsible for paying all or part of their bill until awarding takes place.
V4 (Independent/Dependent) Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
Please complete the form below and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid:
- Allow 2-3 business days for documents to be satisfied
- Allow 2-3 weeks during the months of May through August for the verification process to be completed.
- Once process is completed and aid is awarded the student will receive an award letter via email.
***Please do not wait until the last minute to complete documents. High volumes of in-office traffic, phone calls, and emails during late July and early August increases the length of processing time. Complete requirements as soon as possible.