Application to PTST Technical Study
- Application and Deadlines
- Download the Application Information Packet
- Information Needed to Complete the Online Application
- Minimum Qualifications for Acceptance to PTST Technical Study
- Selection Process
- Selection Notification Process
- Transfer Student Policies
Application and Deadlines
- Ashtabula Campus PTST: September 15th
- East Liverpool Campus PTST: May 1st
Athletic Trainers PTST-ATT: February 1st
The application will be available 6 weeks prior to the application deadline.
Download the Application Information Packet
- 2014 PTST on the Ashtabula Campus
- 2015 PTST on the East Liverpool Campus
- 2015 PTST-ATT for the Certified Athletic Trainer
Information Needed to Complete the Online Application
- Applicant contact information: Name, address, phone, email@example.com
- Kent ID Number (9-digit number beginning with 810...)
- High School: School and year graduated, or GED and date received
- Previous colleges: Name, dates attended, cumulative GPA, and degree awarded (if applicable)
- Information from the Observation and Recommendation forms: Faculty name and city, total hours, date completed
Minimum Qualifications for Acceptance to PTST Technical Study (see detaisl in the Application Information Packet)
Admission to technical study in for the Associate of Applied Science in Physical Therapist Assistant Technology is limited and selective. All applicants must provide evidence that they meet the minimum qualifications to be considered for a seat in the class. Applicants who fail to provide evidence of having the minimum qualifications will not be considered for admission. Having the minimum qualifications does not guarantee acceptance into the PTST technical study. All application materials must be submitted prior to the application deadline.
- Admitted Kent State University student
- Declared in the AAS-PTST or PTST-ATT major (see your Academic Advisor for instructions to change your major)
- Submit the online PTST Technical Study Application
- Submit Observation & Recommendation Forms
- Minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA from the most recent academic experience of 12 credit hours or more
- Completion of essential academic preparation* with a letter grade of "C" or better in high school or college level physics and biology
- Demonstrate readiness for college level coursework with competence in reading, algebra, and writing
Pursuant to federal regulations and state law, Kent State University is committed to provide all persons equal access to its programs, facilities, employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or identification as a disabled veteran, or veteran of the Vietnam era. Inquiries regarding federal regulations and state law may be directed to the Office of Affirmative Action, Wright Hall, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio 44242-0001.
Selection ProcessAll complete applications with documentation of the minimum qualifications are evaluated and ranked in the six (6) selection criteria. Points are assigned based on information acquired in the KSU academic record and other submitted application materials. Seats in the class are offered to the 28 applicants with the highest total points. Acceptance to technical study continues until all offered seats are accepted, or first semester classes begin.
- Grade Point Average
- College courses completed that are required in the PTST degree
- Course Bonus for selected Kent courses
- Essential Behaviors of qualified applicant
- Observation and Recommendation
- Graded Essay
Selection Notification Process
The PTST Program uses the applicant selection worksheet on the following page to identify the top 28 applicants. Frequently, the program receives more applications than it can accept. Applicants are notified by mail of their acceptance status, no later than 6 weeks after the application deadline. Please do not call for information regarding the selection results unless you have not heard anything after the 6 week timeframe.
Applicants not accepted to technical study in a given year may re-apply in a subsequent year. Observation and Recommendation forms are valid and kept in the PTA office for two (2) years after the last observation date. Students who continue to take the non-critical courses listed on the PTST Roadmap will generally have a stronger, more competitive application the following year. Students not selected are encouraged to meet with a program advisor to review the strength of their application and establish a plan to meet their academic and career goals.
Transfer Student Policies
Transfer course credit
The Kent State University (KSU) Transfer Center evaluates the transcripts provided during the KSU admissions process. All previous coursework is recorded and recognized as "Earned Credit". Any course listed in the KSU Transfer Credit Guide, or at www.transferology.com, with an equivalent KSU course is guaranteed to transfer to KSU as the course listed. Any student with a previously earned Bachelor's degree automatically receives credit for all Kent Core general studies requirements.
Students may petition a department to re-evaluate any transfer course that does not have an equivalent KSU course. [Indicated by KSU course numbers with an "X" (Example: PSYC 1X135)]. Petitions may only be submitted after the student is accepted to KSU and the Transfer Center has completed the process of evaluating the transcript. Please consult your advisor regarding the process to petition for transfer credit.
Students must monitor the Graduation Planning System (GPS) Audit to confirm that transfer courses are recognized as meeting the graduation requirements of the AAS-PTST degree. Petitions to recognize transfer course credit should be completed during the first semester at KSU.
Transfer from another PT or PTA Program
Students who transfer from another physical therapist or physical therapist assistant degree program must apply and be accepted to PTST technical study. Courses previously completed at another institution do not transfer as equivalent to PTST courses at KSU.
Credit by Exam (CBE) is available by department approval for certain PTST courses in the curriculum. Students requesting department approval for CBE must apply and be accepted to PTST technical study. Consult the Program Director for details.
Transfer between campuses at Kent State University
Students apply and are accepted to PTST technical study at either the Ashtabula campus or the East Liverpool campus. Once admitted to technical study, a student is encouraged to complete the degree at that campus. Students who are in good academic standing have one opportunity to request a transfer to the other campus.
Transfer between health care programs at Kent State University
Students who have been dismissed for academic reasons from a health care program at Kent State University are eligible to apply for acceptance to technical study in another health care program at KSU as long as they meet the admission requirements of the program to which they are transferring to and there is available space in the program.
Students who have been dismissed from a health care program at any campus of Kent State University for other specified reasons may not enroll in another health care program or transfer to another campus within the same health care program. Specified reasons include, but are not limited to: failure to pass a background check screening, falsification of information or documentation, plagiarism, unprofessional behavior, use of drugs or alcohol, breach of confidentiality, threatening or manipulative behavior, failure to maintain professional boundaries with clients, and other behavioral or ethical issues identified at the discretion of the Dean. This does not include dismissals for academic reasons.