Keeping pace with change is critical for success in the 21st century. CBBS graduates must be prepared with more than just access to the latest technology and course content. They need courses that fully develop their leadership, decision-making and critical-thinking skills. They also need an academic foundation to make effective and ethical decisions in their chosen profession.
We want our students to have a top-20 college experience and graduate to pursue outstanding careers. To accomplish this, we have designed the entire CBBS experience to increase our students’ success in highly competitive job markets. This goal is partially supported by a CBBS Major and Course fee that funds infrastructure and program enhancements that benefit all CBBS majors, as well as non-majors in upper-level CBBS courses.
These enhancements include additional faculty to ensure more sections of upper-level CBBS courses and smaller class sizes. The ability to offer more sections allows us to guarantee that CBBS majors get all the required CBBS courses they need for a timely graduation while maintaining the high quality of these courses. More sections also mean non-CBBS majors are able to take part in the highly demanded CBBS classes.
We also offer and encourage our majors to participate in several unique leadership and professional development opportunities such as Creative Inquiry, I LEAD! leadership certification program and Horizons professional development programs, all which help students transition from learners to leaders. As one of the largest and most competitive colleges at the University, we proudly support our students as they invest in themselves and their future.
- A CBBS major fee of $1,000 per semester is assessed for all full-time CBBS majors who are juniors or seniors.
- A CBBS course fee of $100 per credit hour is assessed for all other students for each credit hour of CBBS 3000- and 4000-level courses in which they are enrolled. This applies for CBBS majors who are freshmen or sophomores, non-CBBS majors and part-time CBBS majors. The course fee is assessed for a maximum of 10 credit hours per semester.
- The total CBBS fee (i.e., major fee plus course fee) paid by a CBBS major during his or her entire degree program is capped at the course fee equivalent of 40 credit hours. At the current fee rate, this cap is $4,000.
In 2012-13, $500,000 from the CBBS fee was set aside to fund student programs within the college. These funds were disbursed as follows:
- $120,000 to the Office for Student Enrichment, which offers mentorship, leadership, internship, study abroad, and professional development opportunities for students
- $30,000 to travel aid for 55 CBBS majors for their study abroad experiences
- $350,000 to various student needs within individual departments — from sending students to national conferences to bringing corporate recruiters on campus.
- Exclusive internship opportunities are available for CBBS juniors and seniors.
- Corporate recruiters are brought to campus to interact with students.
- The Executive-in-Residence program brings a leading executive to campus to advise students on the employment process.
- Hundreds of CBBS undergraduates are participating in Creative Inquiry research projects.
- Professional development events and activities afford students a competitive edge upon graduation.
- Select students earn certification in our I LEAD! leadership training program.
- Students can travel to present their research at national conferences.
- Students can apply for financial aid to make their study abroad trips possible.
- Students are able to participate in the Business Management Strategy Challenge, the New Venture Competition, the National Sales Competition, the National Advertising Competition, and other various international academic competitions (where, incidentally, CBBS students typically place!).
- More sections of CBBS 3000- and 4000- level classes are available.
- Average class sizes across the college are generally smaller, especially in upper-level CBBS courses.
- Enhanced Honors classes, many of which are stand-alone sections, are available across the college.
- Dedicated advisers guide progress of CBBS juniors and seniors and ensure students stay on track to graduate on time.
Fee Funding Process
At the beginning of the fall semester, CBBS departments fill out a funds proposal form. The Fee Committee, which is composed of two CBBS faculty members and two CBBS students, determines how funds will be distributed based upon the proposals submitted by the departments. All four committee members must agree unanimously with the purpose of the project, the student benefit from the project, and the associated project cost. Once determined, the Fee Committee notifies the departments and provides the funding for the approved projects.
The funding approved for the year must be utilized within the year; in other words, the students who pay the fee benefit directly from the project funding.
If you have additional questions about the projects enabled by the fee, please contact one of the Fee Committee faculty representatives: