Download Adobe Reader

FAQ's & Laptop Information

Is a laptop required at Clemson?

Yes. We highly recommend that students entering in Fall 2015 do not purchase a laptop until computer specifications are announced in the Summer of 2015. Please visit the laptop support page for recommendations.

Can I major in engineering or science and still be in the Calhoun Honors College ?

Yes, in fact, students in the College of Engineering and Science compose approximately 40% of the students in the Calhoun Honors College. To learn more, please visit  the Calhoun Honors page.

What type of calculator do I need?

Calculator information can be found on the Calculator Recommendation site. Typcially General Engineering and Science students enroll in either MATH 1060 or 1080 their first semester.

Does Clemson give credit for Project Lead the Way (PLTW) courses?

The College of Engineering and Science at Clemson University awards college-level credit for designated combinations of PLTW courses. Only Clemson University undergraduate students enrolled in General Engineering or an Engineering major will receive credit. To be awarded credit, students must have:

  • A minimum SAT score of 1200 or ACT score of 27
  • At least an 85% average grade in the pertinent PLTW courses, and
  • A minimum stanine score of 8, or score at least 80% on the college credit examination for the PLTW courses.

For students meeting these criteria, Clemson will award credit with proper application and documentation. The following table provides equivalency of PLTW courses and Clemson engineering courses.

PLTW Courses    Clemson Course   
Principles of Engineering or Digital Electronics and Engineering Design and Development    ENGR 1200 (3 credits)   
Introduction to Engineering Design and Aerospace Engineering or Civil Engineering and Architecture or Computer Integrated Manufacturing    EG 2090 (2 credits)   

What high school courses should I take to prepare for an engineering program?

General Engineering applicants are encouraged to have:

  • Mathematics - Four units, including geometry, trigonometry, and introductory calculus
  • Laboratory Science - At least three units, including both chemistry and physics
  • Computing - At least one unit, including introduction to a programming language. Applicants should have good keyboarding skills.

What Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits can be used for the General Engineering curriculum?

AP and IB classes such as Economics, Government, History, and Psychology can be applied towards your General Education requirements. While we can award credit for Calculus, Chemistry, and Physics, we prefer you speak with your advisor prior to utilizing these credits. A complete list of AP credits and Clemson equivalents can be found on the Advanced Placment Credit chart. IB credit can be found on the IB Credit chart.

Does Clemson offer summer engineering and science programs?

Yes. Clemson offers numerours summer engineering and science programs through our Summer Scholars program.

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.