click for mobile path
click for text only
click for search engine
About Cowley College News & Events Academics Cowley Campuses and Centers Cowley Alumni
Future Students Current Students Campus Life Go Tigers Student Logins
Mandatory Assessment and Placement Policy
Cowley County Community College offers many programs, services, and classroom activities to promote and support student connections and success in the learning process. Mandatory assessment and placement in basic skills courses is an important first step. Ensuring that students begin academic courses at the appropriate level is critical in helping students become involved in the learning process. Such placement allows students to connect with other students with common academic challenges and abilities as well as build the necessary academic skills to move forward.
- Students who are seeking a degree or certificate or are registering for 12 or more credit hours are required to complete placement tests in English reading, English writing, and mathematics. Students registering for fewer than 12 credit hours are required to complete placement tests in English reading, English writing, and mathematics prior to registering for English composition or math courses, or after attempting 12 credit hours. Once the student has attempted 12 credit hours, they will be put on "Assessment Hold" and not allowed to enroll until assessment requirements are fulfilled. All or part of testing may be waived by providing documentation of one of the following:
• For English writing: An ACT English score of 20.
• For English reading: An ACT Reading score of 18.
• For Mathematics: An ACT Mathematics score of 19.
• A college degree from an accredited institution. Appropriate mathematics and English courses must have been taken.
• An official college transcript from the last three years listing the writing, math, or reading prerequisite courses completed with a grade of a "C" or better.
• Assessment results within the last three years from another institution.
- After students are assessed they are placed into the appropriate course. Students must successfully complete the required course(s) to move to the next level of coursework. Once a student begins a math course sequence, they cannot retest or skip a course level. Placement is enforced through the student registration system. It is also monitored after grades are posted at the end of each semester. Students who do not complete required coursework with a grade of "C" or better are notified and required to re-register for the course.
- Cowley County Community College provides students with the opportunity to retest one time at the beginning of their course sequence if they feel their initial assessment results do not adequately reflect their ability. The fee for retesting is $5. If the student still feels the placement is inaccurate, they may appeal to the Student Affairs Committee. This committee will review any evidence submitted by the student and make a final decision regarding the student's appropriate placement. The decisions made by the Student Affairs Committee will be final.
To ensure you have the most accurate information, go to Cowley College Policy & Procedures.
Distance Learning Half the Cost Perspective Students Contact Cowley College Catalog Site Map Video Gallery