The Homepage of Richard Mangan
Florida Atlantic University
School of Criminology & Criminal Justice
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Telephone: (561) 297-2878
FAX: (561) 297-2438
On January 3, 1995, after twenty five years as a Special Agent with the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Professor Mangan made the decision to retire. His career with DEA had included assignments as a Special Agent/Criminal Investigator in Washington, DC, and Ft. Lauderdale, FL, as Chief of the Financial Intelligence Section at DEA Headquarters in Washington, DC, as a Group Supervisor in San Francisco, CA, and as the Agent in Charge of the DEA Office in Atlantic City, NJ. During the last three years of his career (1992-1995), hehad the good fortune to be assigned as the DEA Liaison Officer to the Washington National Central Bureau of INTERPOL--the International Criminal Police Organization. This last assignment gave him with the opportunity to attend conferences and meetings all over the world, and to interact with the law enforcement agencies of the 174 member countries of INTERPOL. It also provided a fascinating look at the inner workings of foreign criminal justice systems.
On January 9, 1995, Professor Mangan began teaching as an Adjunct Professor in FAU's School of Criminology and Criminal Justice. Since then, he has become a full time instructor in the department. One of the more enjoyable experiences that he has had here at FAU, has been the opportunity to serve as the faculty advisor to the American Criminal Justice Association and Alpha Phi Sigma, the national criminal justice honorary society.
Professor Mangan's academic interests include the criminal justice system's response to organized crime, the problems associated with illicit drug control and the growth of transnational crime and international law enforcement.
- B.A. University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
- M.A. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Adjunct Professor, (1995 to present) Department of Criminal Justice, Florida Atlantic University
- INTERPOL Instructor, (1992-1995), FBI/DEA Academy, Quantico, VA
- Instructor, (1969-1970), University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, (1965-1967), Florida State University, Tallahassee
- Special Agent and Supervisor, (1971-1995), U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration
- Police Officer, (1970-1971), Montgomery County Police Department, Montgomery County, MD
- "Casinos and Drug Money: A Laundering Loophole" The Virginia Trooper, Spring 1985, pp. 53-59.
- "The Southeast Asian Banking System" The Quarterly, DEA Quarterly Intelligence Trends, Winter, 1994, pp. 4-7.
- "Exploiting the Financial Aspects of Major Drug Investigations" FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, November 1994, pp. 13-16.
- "Investigating the Laundering of International Drug Money" Drug Enforcement Magazine, U.S. Department of Justice, Fall 1983, pp. 12-15.
- Recipient of the DEA Outstanding Performance Award as Supervisor/Manager in the Federal Service, each year from 1987 to 1995.
- Recipient of an Outstanding Teacher Award, Florida Atlantic University Greeks, 1996.
All Pages maintained by College Webmaster