Dr. Diane Alperin
Diane Elias Alperin, Ph.D., L.C.S.W.
Academic Affairs, Office of the Provost
Florida Atlantic University
Administration Building, Room 309
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, Florida 33431-0991
FAX (561) 297-3942
Diane Elias Alperin is a professor in the Department of Social Work at Florida Atlantic University. She has degrees from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, Columbia University, and Florida International University. Her practice experiences are primarily in the area of child welfare, health care and substance abuse. Most recently, her teaching has focused on social welfare policy, research methodology, and family violence. Research projects have focused on current issues in field education and new areas of social work practice. She has co-authored a book with Dr. Nicholas Richie of the Department of Health Administration on innovation in the human services and is currently collaborating on a new book focused on marginal populations.
Curriculum Vita (Click links to expand)Education
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, B.A. (Psychology), 1967.
- Columbia University School of Social Work, M.S. (Social Work), 1969.
- Florida International University, Ph.D. (Social Welfare), 1995.
- Hundreds of hours of continuing education, focusing on social work practice, policy and education, 5/70-1/02.
Academic Affairs, Florida Atlantic University
3/98-8/01 Professor and Associate Provost, Boca Raton Campus
Florida Atlantic University
Principal Investigator, Contract with Florida Department of Children & Families
(Title IV Workplan) 1998-1999
7/98-7/99 Interim Dean, Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
Florida Atlantic University
5/97-3/98 Professor and Acting Associate Provost, Boca Raton Campus
Florida Atlantic University
8/95-4/97 Associate Professor and Chairperson
Department of Social Work, Florida Atlantic University
8/89-8/95 Associate Professor and Field Education Coordinator, Department of SocialWork, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida. New courses taught: Child Welfare Policy, Programs and Practice; Research Methods in Social Work. Acting Chairperson, 4/91-6/91; 7/94-8/95. Field Director, HHS Professional Education for Public Child Welfare Practitioners Grant, BSW Child Welfare Traineeships: Competencies for Culturally Sensitive Practice, 1993-1996.
12/87-present Private Practice, Social work practice consultation and supervision; research consultation.
9/80-7/89 Assistant Professor and Field Experience Coordinator, Social Work Program, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida. Designed and implemented new Field Experience curriculum in preparation for Council on Social Work Education Accreditation (initial accreditation received 10/82). Courses taught: Social Welfare Client; Group Work; Social Work Practice I; Social Welfare Programs; Field Experience in Social Work; Social Welfare Policy and Provisions; Social Work and Family Violence. Acting Director, 7/86-1/87.
1/80-6/80 Adjunct Assistant Professor, Social Welfare Program, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida. Courses taught: Social Welfare Systems; Group Work.
9/79-6/80 Director, Respite Care Inc., Boca Raton, Florida. Developed and administered a non-profit corporation organized to train and thereafter provide short-term respite care to families caring for developmentally disabled children in their home. Funded on a Grant-In-Aid from H.R.S., Districts IX and X.
12/77-9/79 Social Worker, Children's Home Society, West Palm Beach, Florida. Worked primarily with developmentally disabled children and their families, initially focusing on foster care and adoption. Later did Intensive Intervention with natural families having a developmentally disabled child. Also trained and supervised families particularly interested in providing foster care to the troubled early adolescent, as part of a special project.
10/75-12/77 Social Worker, A Associated Home Health Agency, Lake Worth, Florida. Visited home-bound Medicare recipients, providing comprehensive evaluations, direct services, counseling and referral to community resources.
4/75-6/75 Program Director, Family Center, Delray Beach, Florida. Briefly employed to establish a program for the residential treatment of habit disturbances, including alcohol.
8/69-8/73 Social Worker, McGuire Veterans Administration Hospital, Richmond, Virginia. Initially solely responsible for Outpatient Service, doing mainly psychosocial evaluation and crisis intervention. Then transferred to Pulmonary Service and provided casework and groupwork services to TB patients and their families. During all four years, also had the responsibility for patients who had problems with alcohol. Worked on the establishment of an Alcohol Treatment Program for TB patients and later directed the program. Also established an Alcohol Education Program for all patients and all employees of the hospital as well as being instrumental in the establishment of an ongoing Alcoholics Anonymous group. Served on the Viet Nam Veterans Advocacy Committee and facilitated the provision of services to veterans at the Petersburg Federal Reformatory.
6/68-8/68 Social Worker, Central Islip State Hospital, Central Islip, New York. Provided social work services to male alcoholics and chronic schizophrenics as part of a New York State Department of Mental Hygiene Summer Project.
6/66-8/66 Case Aide, Jewish Child Care Association, New York, New York. Worked in the Foster Care Department as part of the Social Work Recruiting Center's Summer Program.
6/65-8/65 Administrative Assistant, YWCA, Club Division, New York, New York. Responsible for the operation of a summer day camp in the city.
- 1994 Teaching Incentive Program Award
- 1992-93 Florida Atlantic University Employee Grant-In-Aid Award
- 1992 Florida Chapter N.A.S.W. Unit Recognition Award Most Successful Unit Revitalization
- 1991-92 College of Social Science Outstanding Scholar
- 1990 College of Social Science Outstanding Achievement Award
- 1990 Hospice By The Sea Honor In Gratitude And Recognition Of Contributions Through Research
- 1990 Florida Atlantic University Award for Innovation in Undergraduate Advising
- 1990 College of Social Science Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising
- 1990 Florida Atlantic University Summer Research Fellowship
- 1988 College of Social Science Faculty Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Instruction
- 1987 Florida Chapter N.A.S.W. Social Worker of the Year
- 1987 Gulfstream Unit N.A.S.W. Social Worker of the Year
- 1986 Gulfstream Unit N.A.S.W. Past Presidents Award
- Nominated for Distinguished Teacher Award within the College of Social Science, 2/82; 2/84; 2/86; 2/87; 2/88; 2/89; 2/90; 2/92; 2/96. College of Social Science Nominee, 2/87.
- Biography selected for inclusion in the 1981 Edition of Who's Who In American Women.
- Biography selected for inclusion in the 1992-93 Edition of Who's Who Among Human Service Professionals.
- Special award in recognition of an unusual and outstanding contribution in improving communication and service to the public, from the Veterans Administration, 4/70.
- Veterans Administration Fellowship, 1968-69.
- Columbia University Scholarship, 1967-68.
- Alperin, D. (1982). Self-help housing in two migrant communities: An issue of empowerment. In L.Clemmons (Ed.), Dignity, diversity and opportunity in changing rural communities, (p.206-212). Columbia: University of South Carolina.
- Richie, N. and Alperin, D. (1992). Innovation and change in the human services. Springfield, ILL: C.C. Thomas.
- Alperin, D. and Richie, N. (2001). Human Services and the marginal client. Springfield, ILL: C.C. Thomas.
- Alperin,D. (1985), Hospice social work: Support for generalist training. Social Work In Health Care, 10(3), 119-122.
- Alperin,D. and Richie,N. (1986). The hospice administrator as counselor. The Hospice Journal, 2(2), 71-78.
- Alperin,D., Zare,N. and Cowan,A. (1986). Is quality field education a matter of academic credentials? The Clinical Supervisor, 4(3), 121-127.
- Alperin,D. and Richie,N. (1988). Social services in continuing/life care communities: Implications for social work education. Arete, 13(1), 29-34.
- Alperin,D. (1988) The physically disabled BSW student: Implications for field education. Journal of Teaching in Social Work, 2(2),99-111.
- Richie,N. and Alperin,D. (1989). Work force characteristics of continuing/life care administrators: Implications for teaching and counseling. The Journal of Health Administration Education, 7(1),70-76.
- Gray,S., Alperin,D. and Wik,R. (1989). Multidimensional expectations of student supervision in social work. The Clinical Supervisor, 7(1), 89-102.
- Alperin, D. and Richie, N. (1989). Community-based AIDS service organizations: Challenges and educational preparation. Health and Social Work, 14(3), 165-173.
- Alperin,D. (1989). Confidentiality and the BSW field work placement process. Journal of Social Work Education, 25(2), 98-108.
- Alperin, D. and Richie, N. (1990). Continuing/life care facilities and the continuum of care. Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 6(½), 125-130. Also in L. Pastalan (1990), Aging in place: The role of housing and social supports, (125-130). New York:Haworth Press.
- Alperin,D., Gray,S. and Wik,R. (1990). Two models of social work field education: A multidimensional view. The Clinical Supervisor, 8(2), 5-18.
- Richie,N. and Alperin,D. (1991). Characteristics, functions, and skills of AIDS agency administrators: Curriculum implications. Journal of Health Administration Education, 9(1), 35-43.
- Alperin,D. and Richie,N. (1991). Comprehensive care in community-based AIDS services agencies. AIDS Patient Care, 5(5), 252- 254.
- Alperin, D. (1992). Family service agencies: Responding to change in a conservative decade. Families In Society: The Journal of Contemporary Human Services, 73(1), 32-39.
- Alperin,D. (1993). Family service agency personnel profiles in the 1980s: Implications for leadership and practice. Families In Society: The Journal of Contemporary Human Services, 74(4), 232-239.
- Alperin,D. (1993) Family service agencies: Responding to need in the 1980s. Social Work, 38(5), 597-602.
- Alperin,D. (1996). Empirical research on student assessment: What have we learned?. The Clinical Supervisor, 14(1), 149-161.
- Alperin,D. (1996) Graduate and undergraduate field placements in child welfare: Is there a difference? Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, 2(1),109-124.
- Alperin,D. (1997) Student and field instructor perceptions of field placements in child welfare. The Clinical Supervisor, 15(2),61-77.
- Alperin,D. (1998) Factors related to student satisfaction with child welfare field placements. Journal of Social Work Education, 34(1), 43-54.
- Richie,N. and Alperin, D. (in press). Innovation and change in the human services (2nd Edition). Sprinfield, ILL: C.C. Thomas.
- Alperin,D. (1981, July). Self-help housing in two migrant communities: An issue of empowerment. Paper presented at the Sixth National Institute on Social Work in Rural Areas, Beaufort, SC.
- Greenfield,W., Alperin, D., and Madden,L. (1981, October). Self-help amongst South Florida migrants. Paper presented at the Sixth Annual Conference on Professional Social Work Development, Florida National Association of Social Workers, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1982, March). Field experience for the undergraduate of the 80s: A need for differential goals. Paper presented at the Annual Program Meeting, Council on Social Work Education, New York, NY.
- Ad Hoc Technical Assistance Committee on Field Instruction (985, February). CSWE's role in current issues and future directions in field instruction. Annual Program Meeting, Council on Social Work Education, Washington, DC.
- Alperin,D. (1985, July). Hospice social work: Functions and skills. Paper presented at the Social Work Study Tour of the Soviet Union, Krasnodar, U.S.S.R..
- Alperin,D. and Gray,S. (1986, March). Multidimensional demands on field education: Synthesizing and selecting field models. Master Teacher Faculty Development Institute, Annual Program Meeting, Council on Social Work Education, Miami, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1989, March). The relationship between the professional community and the schools of social work. Paper presented at the Thirteenth Annual Conference on Professional Social Work Development, Florida National Association of Social Workers, Tampa,FL.
- Alperin,D. (1993, April). Healthy learners, healthy schools, & healthy communities: Implications for universities. Paper presented at A Conference on Healthy Learners, Healthy Schools, & Healthy Communities, Institute on Children & Families, Miami, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1994, March). Developing and implementing the integrative field seminar. Paper presented at the Second National Child Welfare Conference, The Children's Bureau, Arlington, VA.
- Alperin,D. (1995, February). Some tentative results of research on barriers to partnerships. Paper presented at the Third National Child Welfare Conference, The Children's Bureau, Arlington, VA.
Papers and Reports
- Borchers, K. and Alperin, D. (1985). Birthline, Inc.: Agency Evaluation, United Way of Boca Raton.
- Alperin,D. (1987, May/June). FAU completes five year alumni study. Newsletter. Tallahassee: Florida Chapter National Association of Social Workers.
- Greenfield, W., Alperin, D. and Pierce, W. (1987). Needs Assessment Palm Beach County Children's Services Council: Analysis, Needs Assessment Committee of the Children's Services Council.
- Nuehring, E., Jones, R. & Alperin, D. (1988). Study III: Services For Homeless Populations In Palm Beach, Broward And Dade Counties And Selected National Program Models, A Proposal, Barry University.
- Briar, K., Harris,N. and Alperin,D., Partnership Newsletter, National Child Welfare Partnership Project, Florida International University, Institute on Children and Families at Risk, 12/92, 2/93, 9/93, 2/94.
- Alperin, D. (1993-1994). Field placements in public and voluntary child welfare agencies: Challenges and innovations. Research internship reports. Miami: Florida International University School of Social Work.
- Briar,K., Harris,N. and Alperin,D. (1994). Partnership profile:Baseline information from a survey revealing partnership activity between schools of social work and public child welfare agencies. Washington D.C.: U.S. Children's Bureau.
- Alperin,D. (1994). Social Work Program Review. For the Board of Regents, State University System of Florida.
- Alperin,D. and Griffith, M.E. Partnership for Child Welfare Newsletter, U.S. Children's Bureau, Florida Atlantic University, 1/95, 5/95, 4/96.
- Alperin, D. (1995). Self-Study Report. For the Commission on Accreditation, Council on Social Work Education.
- Alperin,D. (1995). Factors associated with social work student satisfaction with field placements in child welfare. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Florida International University, Miami.
- Alperin,D. (1987). Take the wrinkles out of job stress. RDH, 7, 29-30.
- Manuscript reviewer, The Journal of Social Service Research, 3/85-3/98.
- Guest expert reviewer, The Journal of Social Work Education, 1/89.
- Guest reviewer, Families In Society The Journal of Contemporary Human Services, 1/93; 4/93; 1/95; 8/95.
- Alperin, D. (1982, November). The social work profession. Presentation at Career Day, Atlantic Community High School, Delray Beach, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1983, January). Education in social work: Future directions. Presentation for the Broward/Palm Beach County Chapter of the Florida Association of Visiting Teachers/School Social Workers, Boca Raton, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1983, November). Women's issues: A new perspective. Presentation for the Broward Unit National Association of Social Workers, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1984, January). Stress management in dental hygiene. Presentation for the Palm Beach Junior College Dental Hygiene Research Clinic, Lake Worth, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1984, March). Listen to the children. Presentation on WRMB, Your City and Mine, Boynton Beach, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1984, March). Social work and the family. Presentation on WPTV, People Will Talk, West Palm Beach, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1984, June). Stress in sex education and sex counseling. Presentation for Planned Parenthood of South Palm Beach and Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1985, March). Family violence and domestic assault shelters. Presentation for the South Palm Beach County Dental Woman's Association, Boca Raton, FL.
- Alperin,D. (1986, 1988, February). The profession of social work. Presentations at Career Day, Pine Grove Elementary School, Delray Beach, FL.
- Pohl,C. and Alperin,D. (1986, June). Stress management: Role play situations. Presentation at Fair Oaks Hospital, Delray Beach, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1986, June). The feminization of poverty. Presentation for the South Palm Beach County Chapter of NOW, Boca Raton, FL.
- Alperin, D. et al. (1990, June). Ethical issues in child abuse and neglect. Presentations for the Everglades and Central Florida Area Health Education Centers, Belle Glade and Sanford, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1990, October). Curriculum development and training for hospice professional staff. Presentation for Hospice By The Sea, Boca Raton, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1991, May). Working and surviving at Planned Parenthood. Presentation for Planned Parenthood of South Palm Beach and Broward Counties, Boca Raton, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1992, January). The dynamics of domestic violence. Presentation for the Broward County State Attorney's Office, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1993, April). Implications for universities. Presentations at a conference on health learners, healthy schools and healthy communities. Institute on children and families at risk, Miami, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1994, March). Developing and implementing the integrative field seminar. Presentation at the second national child welfare conference. The Children's Bureau, Arlington, VA.
- Alperin, D. (1995, February). The new/continuing partnership newsletter and some tentative results of research on barriers to partnerships. Presentations at the third national child welfare conference. The Children's Bureau, Arlington, VA.
- Alperin, D. (1997, March). Child welfare field placements: building partnerships to navigate the winds of change. Presentation at the 43rd annual program meeting. Council on Social Work Education, Chicago, ILL.
- Alperin, D. (1997, October). Opportunities for and obstacles to advancement for women at Florida Atlantic University. Presentation for Commision on the Status of Women, Boca Raton, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1998, June). What is a social worker? Presentation at Family Safety and Preservation Conference, Florida Department of Children and Families, Lantana, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1998, August). Teaching for the year 2000. Presentation for the Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce, Delray Beach, FL.
- Alperin, D. (1998, October). The effects of domestic violence on families. Presentation for AVDA, Delray Beach, FL.
- National Association of Social Workers, member 1968-present. Gulfstream Unit: Executive Committee member, 5/82-6/92; Representative to the Board of the Community Action Council, 5/82-6/84; Unit Chairperson, 7/84-6/86;12/91-6/92. Legislative Chairperson, 7/88-6/92. Florida Chapter: Board of Directors member, 7/84-6/86; 12/91-6/92 Chairperson, Eleventh Annual Conference on Professional Social Work Development, Social Work: Making A Difference, West Palm Beach, April 2-4, 1987. Chairperson, Continuing Education, 1992-94.
- Academy of Certified Social Workers, member, 1971-present.
- Council on Social Work Education, member, 1981-present.
- Ad Hoc Technical Assistance Committee On Field Instruction, member, 5/84-5/88.
- Clinical Social Worker, State of Florida, License #0000145, 1982-present.
- Columbia University School of Social Work, Job Development and Information Service, Alumni Assistance Relocation Project, area representative, 9/80-present.
- Everglades Area Health Education Center, Continuing Education Task Force, member, 8/90 - 8/92.
- Florida Field Consortium, member, 10/92-8/95.
- Florida Association of Deans and Directors, member, 10/94- 9/97.
- Baccalaureate Program Directors, member, 1/95-1/98.
- Council of Human Services Executives of South County, member,1980-1991.Secretary, 7/82-8/83; Vice-President, 8/83-8/84.
- Hospice By The Sea, voluntary social work consultation, 1982-83.
- Gold Coast Multiple Sclerosis Society, Patient Services Committee, 12/82-6/85;10/87-9/89.
- Aid To Victims Of Domestic Assault, member of the Steering Committee, Board of Directors, and Personnel Committee, 11/84-4/86; Chairperson, Nominating Committee, 9/85-4/86; member of the Advisory Board, 4/86-4/87.
- Planned Parenthood of South Palm Beach and Broward Counties, Chairperson, AIDS Counseling Committee, 1987-89.
- Everglades Area Health Education Center, Children's Health Task Force, member, 1/90-1/92.
- Greater Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce, Chairperson, Education Committee, 6/90-6/91; Member, Holiday Pageant Parade Committee, 6/90-12/90.
- Children's Services Council, member, Foster Care Citizen Review Project Steering Committee, 1/92-9/92.
- Broward County State Attorney's Office, member, Selection Committee, Victim Assistance Professional/and Volunteer of the Year,1992.
- Kids Compact, member, Data Collection Subcommittee, 6/93.
- Palm Beach County Council for the Prevention of Domestic Violence, member, 10/94-12/96.
- Health and Rehabilitative Services District IX Special Task Force on Protective Services, member, 1/95-1/98.
- Broward County Juvenile Justice Board, Research Subcommittee,member, 6/95-9/95.
- Children's Services Council Out-Of-Home Care Oversight Committee,member, 10/95-6/96.
- Maternal Child Family Health Alliance Board of Directors, member 8/96-present; President 11/99-present.
- Department of Children and Families District IX supervision consultant, 10/96-present.
- Children's Behavioral Health Initiative Planning, Organiztion and Design Committee, member, 5/99-11/-99.
- Social Work Program, Alumni Survey Committee, chairperson, 1980-present.
- Social Work Program, Journal Rankings Committee, 1980. Social Work Program, Library Committee, chairperson, 1981- 1994; 1995-.
- Social Work Program, Migrant Awareness Day, 4/81.
- Social Work Program, Annual Appreciation Reception for Field Instructors, 5/81; 4/82; 4/83; 4/84; 4/85; 4/86; 4/87; 4/88; 4/89; 4/90; 4/91; 2/92;
- Social Work Program, Volunteer Referral Service, coordinator,5/82-present.
- Social Work Program, Workshop for Field Instructors, 9/84; 9/85; 9/86; 1/89; 1/90; 1/91; 9/91; 9/93; 1/95; 9/95; 1/96.
- Social Work Program, Liaison, Miami Jewish Home for the Aged and the Florida Dept. of Community Services, as co-host of the Collaborative Elderly Housing Initiative Program Conference, 11/86.
- Social Work Program, Search Committee, chairperson, 1/88- 5/89;1/96-6/96.
- College of Social Science, Ad Hoc Committee on the Language Requirement, member, 1980-82.
- College of Social Science, Faculty Development Committee, member, 1981.
- College of Social Science, Foundation Grant Committee, member,1981.
- College of Social Science, representative to the University Senate, 1983-87.
- Steering and Policy Committee, 1984-86.
- College of Social Science, Merit Evaluation/Teaching Committee,1984.
- College of Social Science, Faculty Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Instruction Committee, member, 1989.
- College of Social Science, Promotion and Tenure Committee, member, 8/89-present.
- College of Social Science, United Way Campaign Solicitor, 1990.
- College of Social Science, Mission Statement Task Force, 1991.
- College of Social Science, Faculty Awards for Excellence in Teaching and Advising Committee, member, 1991.
- College of Social Science, Ad-Hoc Committee on Bylaws, member,1991-1992; 1995.
- College of Social Science, TIPS Committee, 1993.
- College of Social Science, Compression/Inversion Model Review Committee, 9/95.
- College of Urban and Public Affairs, By-Laws Committee, 2/96-present.
- Association of Handicapped Students, faculty advisor, 1980.
- Continuing Education, Non-Profit Organizations Executive Committee, member, 1981.
- Institute for Alcohol and Drug Studies, member, 1986.
- Kenneth R. Williams Leadership Award Selection Committee, member, 1989.
- Substance Abuse Studies Advisory Committee, member, 7/90 - 7/92.
- Competitive Grant Program for Enhancement of Undergraduate Education, member, 1990.
- University Committee on Disabled Students, College of Social Science representative, 12/90 - 7/92.
- Academic Freedom and Due Process Committee, At-Large representative, 9/91 - 9/92.
- Search Committee, Acting Undergraduate Dean, member, 7/93- 8/93.
- Boca Raton Faculty Senate, 4/96-present.
- Florida State University System, Public Administration and Services Pilot Committee on Common Prerequisites and Course Leveling, Chair, Social Work Subcommittee, 8/95-5/96.
- Florida State University System, Scholarship/Research Committee,2/96.
All Pages maintained by College Webmaster