Phi Alpha Honor Society
A National Honor Society for Social Work StudentsPhi Alpha Medalion
"Through Knowledge - The Challenge to Serve"
The Phi Alpha Honor Society is a national honor society for social work that fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
The Delta Xi Chapter of the Phi Alpha Honor Society at Florida Atlantic University welcomes all BSW and MSW students, as well as full time social work faculty, who have demonstrated academic excellence and who are willing to recognize the value of community involvement.
The purposes of Phi Alpha Honor Society are to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals.
Phi Alpha is a national honor society for BSW students with a 3.25 or higher GPA and MSW students with a 3.5 GPA or higher from at least one term of their program. Other requirements can be found on the application form. MSW students who were already Phi Alpha Members during their BSW program at FAU continue to be members when they start their MSW program.
The advantages of joining Phi Alpha include:
- Becoming a member of a national honor society that supports high standards in social work education and values community service.
- Receiving a "Medallion" at the Induction Ceremony and the blue and gold colors of Phi Alpha to wear during the graduation ceremony.
- Participating in scholarly activities, community service and social action events.
- Working together with student colleagues and professors on social issues and creating a scholarly environment at the School of Social Work.
- Identification in your curriculum vitae as a Phi Alpha Honor Society member, ensuring acknowledgement of academic excellence and opening doors for professional success.
If you meet the following criteria, you may be eligible for consideration as a member of Phi Alpha:BSW Requirements MSW Requirements
- Declared Social Work as a major.
- Achieved sophomore status.
- Completed nine semester hours or 12 quarter-hours of required Social Work classes.
- Achieved an overall grade point average of 3.0.
- Achieved a 3.25 grade point average in required Social Work courses.
- A minimum of one term of course work.
- Achieved a 3.50 grade point average.
Social work students who do not meet the required GPA and coursework may be admitted as “Pledges” for one academic term. Pledges will be inducted as full Phi Alpha members only upon meeting the Phi Alpha national and chapter standards. Pledges must adhere to all regulations and laws required by FAU and the national Phi Alpha Society.
Each chapter may select two persons each year for honorary membership. This recognition is available to persons outside the program who have made a significant contribution to the program and/or society. Membership certificates for honorary members are provided by the National Office without cost to local chapters. Membership is also available to all full-time social work faculty.
A lifetime membership fee of $45.00 (including $20.00 for National Honor Society Dues, $10.00 for a medallion with the member's name engraved, and $15.00 for Chapter Dues).
Phi Alpha Faculty Advisor
New Officers for 2015/2016
Elizabeth Goldberg - President
Lisa Cooks - Vice President
John Puls - Treasurer
Delaney Kirwin - Secretary
Minimum Requirements for Maintaining Annual Membership:
Attendance at any 2 meetings or events of Phi Alpha per semester.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Membership shall be available to all eligible persons without regard to age, gender, color, race, creed, ethnic or national origin, political or sexual orientation, or special needs.
For more information or to apply, you can print out a copy of the following application or contact any of the officers by email at email@example.com