THE BEGINNING OF THE REGIONAL ACADEMIC CENTER
Regional Academic Center has come a long way from 1991 when a Kent State University professor loaded up his car with textbooks, teaching materials and drove to the Chrysler Stamping Plant in Twinsburg to offer employees an opportunity to take Kent State University courses. Growing enrollment enabled those courses to move to the "Old School" in the heart of the City of Twinsburg. Enrollment continued to grow and course offerings expanded. In addition to the Stamping Plant employees, the public was also welcomed to enroll in classes held at the Center. One staff member from the Geauga Campus was hired to oversee the Center.
Course offerings in 1994 consisted of six classes—Accounting, Business Law & Ethics, Introduction to Computers, Computer Programming, Windows and Networking. Today, the Regional Academic Center offers over one hundred courses in a variety of subjects from biological sciences and chemistry to anthropology and architecture. In fact, the increasing number of course offerings and students once again permitted the Regional Academic Center to change locations. In the Fall of 2012, the new Regional Academic Center on Creekside Drive in Twinsburg opened its doors of a new state-of-the-art facility with over 44,000 square feet to approximately 1000 students.
Even increasing enrollment, the faculty and staff do not want to lose the "Old School" charm. The Regional Academic Center provides a low faculty-to-student ratio. The staff is friendly and helpful. Vania Alvarez-Minah, Enrollment Management and Student Services Advisor, said "It is exciting to work here! The variety of students attending range from recent high school graduates to returning adults working to complete a Bachelor or Associate degree." Students enrolled have an opportunity to earn college credits towards a variety of degrees.