Students are encouraged to fulfill all requirements for graduation to earn an associate degree in arts, science, or applied science. Students who earn associate degrees enhance their chances of being accepted into the senior institution of their choice. Students with associate degrees also enhance their employment opportunities after they graduate.
Students who are within a few hours of earning an associate degree but transfer to a four-year institution before completion may, in many cases, transfer the necessary hours back to Georgia Perimeter College from the four-year institution and earn the associate degree. Students should consult the campus Enrollment and Registration Services Office to explore this option.
The annual formal commencement ceremony is held in May of each year. Students completing degree requirements at the end of the summer or fall semesters may participate in the following May commencement ceremony. Students completing degree requirements at the end of spring semester may participate in the May commencement ceremony.
Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees and certificates are awarded each semester to those students who meet all graduation requirements. All students who have earned 30 semester hours are eligible for a graduation evaluation. Students should complete a graduation application form, available in the campus Enrollment and Registration Services office or by downloading the form from the Student Forms page of the GPC website. A separate application must be submitted for each program of study in which a degree audit is sought and a $25 (non-refundable) graduation application fee is required per application. Students should apply for graduation by the following graduation deadlines:
Spring Semester November 1
Summer Session March 1
To graduate, students must do the following:
- Successfully complete an approved program of academic work, including the basic physical education requirement
- Earn an overall grade point average of "C" or better in courses presented for graduation
- Pass all courses on Area A (Essential Skills) with "C" or better
- File an application for graduation with the campus Enrollment and Registration Services Office by the appropriate deadline
- Complete at least 18 semester hours for an associate’s degree or 36 semester hours for a bachelor’s degree at Georgia Perimeter College and be enrolled during the semester of graduation
- Students who transfer their final nine semester credit hours for approved courses back to Georgia Perimeter College to complete their associate degree requirements can be exempt from the enrollment requirement.
- Transfer students must take 18 hours of courses from Areas A through F in the Core Curriculum of the associate’s degree they are seeking.
- Transfer students must take 36 semester hours of courses that apply to the bachelor’s degree they are seeking; a minimum of 18 semester hours must be in major courses.
- Demonstrate a satisfactory knowledge of United States and Georgia history and Constitutions (These requirements can be met by successfully completing Area E in the program of study.)
- Settle all financial obligations to the college before a degree, certificate, or transcript will be issued
Note: Students seeking a degree will not be credited with the completion of the requirements for graduation while on probation. To be eligible for graduation in Nursing or Dental Hygiene, a student must make a minimum grade of "C" in all professional courses and in all basic science courses required by the program.
Graduates seeking a second degree from Georgia Perimeter College must complete all degree requirements for the second degree to include a minimum of 18 semester hours above the hours submitted for the first degree.
- Hours must be taken in Areas B through F in the Core Curriculum for the second degree.
- Courses already taken may not be repeated for credit in the second degree.
- No third degrees will be awarded unless they are a combination of two associate transfer degrees and a degree or certificate in a Career program offered by Georgia Perimeter College.
Graduation with Honors
Students who graduate from Georgia Perimeter College and excel in their academic work shall be recognized at graduation. The following grade point averages will be used in the selection of students who receive honors recognition:
3.70 - 3.89 Graduation with high honors
3.90 - 4.00 Graduation with highest honors
Computation will be based on all academic work completed at Georgia Perimeter College. At least 27 semester hours must be earned at Georgia Perimeter College to receive consideration for honors.
Students will normally satisfy the curricular degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time they enter Georgia Perimeter College, although it must be recognized that revisions to the requirements may be required to provide effective programs. The term "curricular degree requirements" refers to the courses and grades required to earn the degree. (Changes in "academic regulations" affect all students, regardless of catalog edition. Examples of possible changes include the student discipline policy, procedures for removing incomplete grades, and appeal procedures.) There are several instances, however, when students will be required to "change catalog editions." This means students will be required to satisfy the curricular degree requirements of the catalog in effect when/if they officially change majors or re-enter the college after a period of one year in which they have earned no academic credit at Georgia Perimeter College. Students may choose to satisfy the curricular degree requirements of the current catalog, but if they choose to do this, they must meet all the requirements of the current catalog; the curricular degree requirements of more than one catalog edition cannot be combined. A degree will be awarded only to students who have satisfied all the academic and administrative requirements of Georgia Perimeter College.