University Academic Advising Mission
Academic advising at Kent State University supports the teaching and learning mission of the university by helping students understand the value of achieving their educational goals. Advising is an on-going partnership among students, advisors, and the university community.
Vision for Academic Advising
The academic advising program at Kent State University aspires to be a nationally recognized model for academic advising excellence by focusing on:
- Effective communication
- Collaborative partnerships
- Student access to deliberative/meaningful/purposeful academic advising
- Degree completion
- Continuous assessment
Student Objectives for Advising:
- Achieve timely progress toward degree.
- Demonstrate an understanding of university and program requirements.
- Identify and utilize appropriate resources in achieving academic, personal, and career goals
Each Kent State University student is responsible for:
- Establishing an on-going relationship with University advisors (professional, faculty, etc.) in order to develop and define university related academic and career goals.
- Participating in periodic reflection and review of your personal academic goals.
- Attending required advising appointments on time and prepared. First and second year students are required to meet with an advisor each semester, and third year and beyond need to meet with an advisor at least once per year. (Additional appointments are encouraged and may be required by individual colleges/campuses.)
- Meeting with an advisor to develop and maintain an academic plan (GPS). However, the final responsibility for following procedures and meeting university, college and program requirements as outlined in the University Catalog rests solely with you.
- Pursuing successful completion of all courses for which you are enrolled.
- Being familiar with the current academic calendar, including, but not limited to, deadlines for course registration, course withdrawal and application for graduation.
- Knowing your academic record, including registration schedule for each semester and academic progress toward program completion.
- Maintaining a current and accurate mailing address, phone number and Kent State e-mail address in FlashLine.
- Reading and responding promptly to all communications from the university including checking and utilizing your kent.edu account on a regular basis.
- Being familiar with and adhering to the university's rules, regulations and policies.
- Asking questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Seeking out university resources as needed to help support your academic goals.
- Learning to become self-sufficient, independent, and accepting personal responsibility for your decisions.
Each Kent State University advisor is responsible for:
- Understanding and effectively communicating curriculum, academic progress, graduation requirements, and Kent State policies and procedures.
- Maintaining confidentiality.
- Listening to your concerns and respecting your individual values and choices.
- Assisting you in defining and reflecting on your academic, career, and personal goals, and assisting you in creating a realistic educational plan that is consistent with those goals.
- Being accessible and providing timely responses to your questions during office hours through scheduled meetings, telephone, or university email (or other university sanctioned technology).
- Assisting you in using Kent State systems such as GPS, WebScheduler, and FlashLine.
- Assisting you in knowing how to access important university information.
- Providing you with information about educational opportunities outside of the classroom.
- Referring you to faculty and other university resources as appropriate.
- Establishing an on-going professional relationship with our students.
- Assisting you in your transition to university life.