Kent State has recently begun a partnership with The College for International Studies in Madrid. This is not a Kent State program, but the partnership does allow for easy transfer of credits and an extensive list of courses that will be considered equivalent to Kent State courses. This is a great opportunity for a study abroad experience in a Spanish-speaking country, but with courses taught in English.
Madrid is a vibrant European capital city with fantastic museums, architecture, food and nightlife. And throughout Spain, you'll find everything from medieval castles and stunning cathedrals to rugged mountains and beautiful beaches. Plus, you're close enough to travel throughout Europe if you like.
A few things you should know:
Thanks to our partnership agreement, it will be easy for most students to spend a semester at CIS Madrid and continue progress toward your degree because many CIS Madrid courses are designated as direct equivalents to Kent State courses, including several in our college, such as Media, Power and Culture; Principles of PR; and Intercultural Communication.
If you speak Spanish, incredible internship opportunities are available with Spain's top newspapers, magazines, and corporations.
Lodging is in the homes of nearby residents, and meals are provided, offering a wonderful chance to practice your Spanish, better understand the culture, and develop a lasting relationship with your host family.
Several guided field trips are included to such destinations as Barcelona and Segovia.
CIS Madrid offers an extraordinary service project course for interested students that takes you to Mozambique.
- Exact dates for Spring 2013 aren't available yet, but the semester will run from late January to early May.
Here are all the details and materials you'll need to apply:
- For more general information about CIS Madrid, view the CIS Madrid Study Abroad Brochure (pdf)
- To learn what courses will be available, see the Spring / Summer 2013 Course Offerings (pdf)
- To learn which CIS Madrid courses will automatically transfer as specific Kent State courses, see this list of CIS/KSU Transfer Equivalencies (pdf)
- Here are the costs associated with the program: CIS Madrid Cost Sheet (excel) This does not include airfare to Madrid. See the Financing & Scholarships page on this site for more ideas on funding study abroad.
- Here is the CIS Madrid Application (doc)
- Here is the CIS Madrid Housing Application (doc)
Internship opportunities are available to students fluent in Spanish. CIS Madrid students have interned in:
- Banks: Deutsche Bank, Caja Madrid, Bank Psa, Bnp Paribas, Citybank, ING
Multinationals: Coca-Cola, Walt Disney, Mahou, Daimler Chrysler, BMW
Communication Companies: Prisa Group, newspaper El País, Bassat Ogilvy, Financial Times
Telephone and Technology Companies: Orange, Vodafone, Indra, Oracle
TV, movie, and radio production: Canal 8 Madrid, Canal Cosmopolitan, Playcomnet, Cadena Ser, Fox Video, Morena Films
Hotels: NH, Best Western
Financial Services: Auxadi Contables y Consultores, Negocia Gestión financiera (Financial Management), Fimat
*The availability of places is subject to companies ́ demand and selection process.