3.1 Strengthen and diversify the research and creative portfolio
- Reach for the Carnegie “very high” research category in research expenditures and doctoral production (Academic Affairs)
- Continue to develop transdisciplinary academic and research strengths at Kent State (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Enhance and expand faculty research capacity through initiatives such as coordinated hires and non-tenure track research professor rank (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Increase both the number and success rates of grant applications (Research and Sponsored Programs).
3.2 Expand the offerings and research portfolio in the sciences
- Develop a Center of Excellence in STEM education (Academic Affairs)
- Increase the university’s capacity and performance in translational research (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Aggressively recruit talented undergraduate and graduate students in STEM fields (Enrollment Management and Student Affairs)
- Increase post-doctoral and research fellows exclusively engaged in university research (Research and Sponsored Programs).
3.3 Enhance economic development and quality of life locally, regionally, and statewide derived from Kent State research and creative endeavors
- Leverage the distinctive role of each campus and the community it serves (Academic Affairs)
- Increase technology transfer and commercialization of university research (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Demonstrate in marketing and lobbying activities Kent State’s contributions to economic prosperity locally, regionally, and statewide (University Relations).
3.4 Partner with government agencies, businesses, and non-governmental organizations to achieve strategic results
- Ambitiously grow both the funding and impact of research secured through institutional strategic investments and by aligning efforts with strategic partners and the state (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Engage with funding agencies through on-campus visits (Research and Sponsored Programs)
Promote achievements of Kent State researchers and students to legislators, the media and industry (University Relations)
- Promote to the public, the media and policy makers the benefits and outcomes from successful partnerships (University Relations).