The EXCEL Residential College is open to first-year and transfer exploratory majors with less than 25 credit hours. Through EXCEL, students have the capability to explore the numerous majors at Kent State University prior to declaring a major. The program focuses on students' academic and personal success and offers students' resources in choosing an appropriate college major.
Furthermore, students in EXCEL reside in Lake Hall, which is located in the central part of campus. This hall is connected to the Student Advising Center that houses the professional academic advisers for all exploratory students. This residential college gives students an opportunity to get to know others that are also new to the university and searching for their career direction.
Students in EXCEL receive personalized assistance other first-year students do not receive. EXCEL students are offered the opportunity to attend special programs designed to enhance their success. Each month, EXCEL students are required to attend at least two programs that provide assistance with deciding on a major/career, as well as help with basic academic success issues that are important to incoming first-year students, such as time management, stress relief and study skills. Also, EXCEL provides social opportunities for these students.Connected Courses:
Fall US 10097 First Year Colloquium
ENG 11011 College Writing I
SOC 12050 Intro to Sociology(3cr)
PHY 11030 Seven Ideas which Shook the Universe (3cr)
HIST 12071 U.S. History-Modern Period (3cr)
MUS 22121 Music as World Phenomenon
How do I join?In order to participate in the EXCEL Residential College housed in Lake Hall, you must be a first-year or transfer student with less than 25 credit hours and have an exploratory (undecided) major. Participating students must reside in Lake Hall. Sign Up Quickly! The EXCEL program is in high demand among new Exploratory students. Students are selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is to your advantage to join this group of successful first-year students.
Students who are interested in participating in the EXCEL Residential College need to follow these steps:
- Select Lake Hall and EXCEL as your first choice on your residence hall application, and alert the academic advisor during your Destination Kent State: Advising & Registration program that you would like to participate in the EXCEL community and register (sign up) for the EXCEL core of courses.
- If you have already completed and submitted your residence hall application and now want to make changes, you may re-enter your application by logging back into your application through the residence hall application website prior to July 1.
- Fill out the additional community specific application on the EXCEL Residential College website: https://app-dev.us.kent.edu/EXCEL/
- You will be notified before your Destination Kent State: Advising & Registration date of your admission.
- If you need further assistance, or have questions about how to join the EXCEL Residential College please contact the community coordinator.
Coordinator Contact Information:Pamela Jones
Academic Program Coordinator