The spouse and unmarried minor children (under the age of 21) of a J-1 Visitor (student/scholar) may accompany the J-1 student/scholar to the United States or follow the J-1 at a later date. The dependent family members will be granted J-2 status provided they establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and of the immigration officer at the port of entry that they have sufficient funds to cover their expenses or that other arrangements have been made to provide for their expenses, and "that they intend to leave the United States upon the termination of the status of the principal J-1."
If Kent State University is the J-1's sponsor* and the dependent requires a DS-2019, the J-1 student/scholar should call to make an appointment and be prepared to bring the following to ISSS:
- Marriage certificate for spouse and/or birth certificate for children;
- Financial documentation that ensures support for the J-2 dependent(s)
- ISSS will prepare Form DS - 2019 for dependent(s) to request entry visa from the U. S. Embassy or Consulate in the home country;
- Student will return to ISSS to sign Page 1 of the Form DS - 2019 and the Affidavit of Support;
- Student forwards Form DS - 2019, and supporting financial documentation to the dependent(s) for entry visa request at the U. S. Embassy or Consulate in the home country.
Upon entry of the J-2 dependent(s) into the United States, the J-1 student must report the arrival of dependent(s) be prepared to bring passport(s), I-94(s) and DS - 2019 to ISSS.
*If Kent State University is not the J-1's sponsor, the J-1 student/scholar must petition the sponsoring agency directly to request the necessary documents for dependent(s) J-2 entry visa.
J-2 Employment Information and Application Process
J-2 dependents may request employment from USCIS. The income for such employment must be used to supplement or enhance the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal. Support for the J-1 principal and dependent(s) must be provided by the J-1.
- Make an appointment with ISSS and bring the following:
- Completed Form I-765
- Check or money order in the amount of $380.00 made payable to the USCIS,
- Photocopy of your J-1's DS -2019,
- Photocopy of your (J-2's) DS - 2019,
- A written statement, with any supporting evidence showing that your employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes such as cultural activities and sightseeing trips,
- Photocopy of both sides of the Form(s) I-94(s) of the J-1 and the J-2 dependent(s) and
- Two passport-sized photos.