These guidelines address the process for ETD submission and do not address required formatting for specific departments. Check with your adviser, departmental staff, or gatekeeper regarding format guidelines. To prepare for the actual submission you may want to read the OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center Submitter User Manual.
- After successfully defending your dissertation or thesis, make any required final corrections. Make certain the approval signature page includes the names as well as the titles of the people who will be signing the page. Place each name just below or next to the line that person will sign.
- If you wish to request a delay in publication (embargo) of your dissertation or thesis because of a publisher agreement or patent application, download the form and take it to your advisor.
- Print two copies of the approval signature page and obtain all needed signatures.
- Convert the final corrected copy to PDF format (see the PDF How-To). Avoid free software or web services that may insert advertisements into your document or are not full featured. Do not password the file or add other forms of security to it. Make sure all fonts are embedded (when saving as PDF with Microsoft Word select PDF/A in Options).
- Go to the OhioLINK ETD Center and follow the prompts to create your account and provide information about your ETD. Additional submission information from OhioLINK is available in the OhioLINK ETD Center Submitter User Manual. Soon after making your submission you should receive an email confirming it.
- Get in touch with your College or School. Each college has an ETD gatekeeper who is a valuable resource. A list of these contacts is available here. Confirm receipt of your submission, submit the signed signature pages, and submit any additional paperwork required. Doctoral graduates should download all or part of the ProQuest/UMI packet on our forms page when one or more of the following apply:
- - you are requesting copyright registration (extra $65 charge mentioned above)
- - you are ordering copies from UMI at the author discount rate
- - you included previously published material in your dissertation or thesis
In the third case you will need to include a copy of the reprint permission letters.
- Be prepared to resolve any outstanding issues with the format of your electronic dissertation after your College or School reviews the online submission.
- You should receive another email when your submission has been approved.