The Campus Kitchen Project - National Movement
The Campus Kitchen Project (CKP) is a national organization that provides healthy meals to those in need by harnessing the spirit of student volunteerism within local communities. The national Campus Kitchens organization has engaged students for 12 years and supports kitchens at 33 colleges and high school campuses.
The Mission of The Campus Kitchen Project is to use service as a tool to:
- Strengthen bodies by using existing resources to meet hunger and nutritional needs in our community;
- Empower minds by providing leadership and service learning opportunities to students, and educational benefits to adults, seniors, children, and families in need; and
- Build communities by fostering a new generation of community-minded adults through resourceful and mutually beneficial partnerships among students, social service agencies, businesses and schools.
More information on The Campus Kitchen Project is available at www.campuskitchens.org.
Thank you for your interest in the Campus Kitchen (CKP) at Kent State University. Each week the kitchen prepares meals for more than 250 individuals in need who are serviced by Kent Social Services, Center of Hope and Springtime of Hope. We accomplish this through cooking shifts held on Wednesdays in the Beall Hall Kitchen (2nd floor) and on “special event” shifts.
The CKP looks for volunteers to:
- Assist with weekly cooking shifts – Wednesdays – 2 pm – 5pm – 2nd floor Beall Hall Kitchen
- Food Delivery – Thursday mornings. Delivery of meals prepared on Wednesday to KSS and Center of Hope
- Food Recovery - daily recovery of food from campus cafeterias and other on-campus food sites
You can assist for a one day weekly shift or more. Each shift takes approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Farmers’ Market – assist us at the Haymaker Farmers’ Market in Kent or the Ravenna Farmers' Market – cooking, marketing our program, establishing relationships with farmers, food recovery and nutrition programs. Saturdays: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and Thursdays: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.. Work for an hour or more – depends on your schedule.
- Nutrition Outreach – work with our Nutrition Outreach Team. Monthly nutrition programs, nutritional analysis of menus, and much, much more.
- Inventory Control – tracking of incoming and outgoing food.
- Bridge Program – Join us on Friday as we serve the homeless who gather under the Y-Bridge in Akron. 5 p.m. – 6:30/7p.m. KSU students distribute nutritious bagged meals to those in need.
- PB & J Sandwich Creation – every Thursday 5 - 7 p.m. Beall Hall Kitchen, creating sandwiches and snacks for the homeless
Mighty Pack Program – Assemble weekend meals for youth. Many children receive government sponsored breakfast and lunch during weekdays, but find it challenging to find meals on the weekends. You can help us assemble backpacks filled with nutritious food items for weekend consumption.
- Many other ways to get involved – if you can think of a way we will engage you in our work.
A great team of volunteers taking a break from preparing meals for Kent Social Services
and the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Join our team! Contact
firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.