Frequently Asked Questions about the Online Program

  • Can the Bachelor of Science in Public Health Degree be completed 100% online?
    • The Bachelor of Science in Public Health Degree can be completed 100% for students pursuing the Health Promotion and Education Concentration, the Health Services Administration Concentration and Allied Health Concentration (beginning fall 2012).
  • Are you accredited?
    • Kent State University is an affiliate of the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges and the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. The university is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. The College of Public Health anticipates it undergraduate program to receive CEPH (Council on Education in Public Health) accreditation sometime in 2014.
  • I don't know much about Kent State University. Can you tell me more?
    • Kent State University is located in Kent, Ohio about 30 minutes Southeast of Cleveland, 20 minutes Northeast of Akron, and 2 hours from Pittsburgh, PA. According to US News and World Report, Kent State is one of the top universities in the United States. More information about Kent State University is located at  
  • When can I start?
    • Students can begin the program at various times during the year. Students may enroll in traditional 15 week courses or 7 week courses (or a combination of both) during the fall and spring semesters and in a variety of summer sections.
  • What do I need to do to get started?
  • I am a potential student from a country outside of the United States. Can I complete this online program?
    • Citizens from other countries can complete this program in their native country once all criteria for admission Kent State University are met. Students should contact the Office of Global Education for more information
    • Current students studying at Kent State University or at another university on a student visa, should contact their institutions' international department prior to registering for online classes.
  • Does Kent State University offer financial aid?
    • Financial aid is available for qualified students. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at each year, as soon after January 1 as possible. Students who enroll in summer courses should also complete the Kent State Summer Financial Aid Request Form at Please contact the Student Financial Aid Office at 330-672-2972 or via e-mail at for questions regarding financial aid.  You can also access helpful financial aid information by visiting the Student Financial Aid website at
  • Is the online undergraduate program available for someone with a graduate degree?
    • Students seeking to change careers can pursue the online bachelor's degree program in public health. In, addition qualified students can be admitted to the Master of Public Health program, housed on the Kent Campus,  with a variety of undergraduate degrees.
  • How much does the online program cost?
    • The cost of the program is dependent on a variety of factors including Ohio residency, full-time or part-time enrollment, campus enrolled and courses taken. Non-Ohio residents taking ALL online classes are assessed the in-state tuition charge and an addition $10 per credit hour non-resident surcharge.  All online courses have a $10.00 per credit hour distance learning course fee.  For a full list of tuition and fees along with payment deadlines please visit the Office of the Bursar.
  • Will my general education courses transfer from my previous institution to Kent State University?
  • What is the estimated time of completion for the online BSPH program?
    • Students have the ability to progress through the online program at their own pace. The program encompasses 121 credit hours or around 40 classes. Students who enroll as full time students (15 hours per semester) with no transfer credit can expect to graduate in around eight semesters.
  • Does the College of Public Health or Kent State University supply textbooks and course materials?
    • Students are responsible for providing/obtaining their own course materials (textbooks, computers, etc.). Materials are readily available at a number of online retailers and through the University Bookstore.
  • What level of computer proficiency do I need to be successful?
    • Students are expected to be comfortable utilizing the following software products:
      • Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
      • Chat rooms and discussion boards
      • Blackboard and Quicktim
      • YouTube, Web Browser (eg. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari)
  • Do I need to have my own computer?
    • Students are strongly urged to have a modern, well-maintained, computer with high speed internet access. Given the volume of work required for the program it is not advisable to rely on a public or shared computer. Students of Kent State University are eligible to receive discounted pricing from popular computer retailers such as Apple and Dell.
  • I live close to a Kent State campus, can I take face-to-face courses too?
    • As a fully-admitted member of the Kent State University community, students in our online programs are able to seamlessly register for in-class sections of course offered at any of our nine campus locations. All courses apply directly toward the completion of your degree program. Tuition may vary for out-of-state online students taking classes in person on a Kent State campus.
  • What can a graduate from this program do?
    • Students who pursue their Bachelor's in Public Health Degree can gain fundamental knowledge and skills in the five disciplines of public health: Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Policy and Management, Social and Behavioral Sciences and Environmental Health
    •  By enrolling in Kent State's College of Public Health, students learn about the public health care system in the U.S. and abroad, as well as emerging public health concerns such as pandemic infectious disease and new threats to the environment.
    • Students who graduate with their Bachelor's in Public Health typically work in areas such as:
      • Public health departments
      • Voluntary health agencies
      • Human services agencies
      • Hospitals
      • Rehabilitation centers
      • Insurance companies
      • Corporate worksites
      • Wellness centers
      • Community health organizations
      • Family planning clinics
      • Managed care facilities
      • And many other
  • Does the online program have a cohort model or sequenced courses?
    • Students are not required to enter into a specific cohort when starting the online program. In addition, there are minimal pre-prerequisites, to allow students to move through the program at their own pace.  
  • How much of this degree can be completed at a community college or regional campus
    • Students can complete a majority of the Kent Core Courses (general education requirements) and general electives at a community college or regional campus. Students do need to complete a minimum of 30 hours of coursework at Kent State University.
  • I heard that you have a Certificate in Public Health; can I pursue the certificate and then transition to the BSPH program?
    • The College of Public Health offers an Undergraduate Certificate in Public Health that is composed of 18 hours of online coursework. Students interested in learning more about the field of public health,  transitioning from another health related field into public health, or who already hold a bachelors or associate degree are welcomed to apply for this program .  Students interested in the online BSPH program many begin their curriculum in the certificate program and may transition BSPH degree at a later time. Students may receive federal financial aid to complete their Certificate in Public Health, and should review their eligibility with a financial aid counselor.
  • Is there one location to register, pay my bill, learn about my program requirements and access student services?
    • All student services are administered through FlashLine.
  • Am I required to submit immunization records?
    • Students who do not intend to physically enroll in classes at one of the Kent State University campuses are not required to submit immunization records.  Students who do receive communication from University Health Services requesting these records, can simply notify University Health Services of their online student status.
  • Am I required to submit a commuter exemption form?
    • Students who are under 21 years of age or who have fewer than 60 credit hours are required to fill out a commuter exemption form.
  • How do I know when courses are offered?
    • Generally a large number of Kent Core Courses (general education requirements) are offered each fall, spring and summer for students to enroll in. Each fall and spring the College of Public Health offers ALL its Public Health Core Courses online for students to enroll in. During the summer a limited number of courses are offered. Students should speak with a College of Public Health Academic Advisor to assist in planning their degree. For a full listing of Kent State classes, visit Schedule of Classes (How to find online courses).
  • How do I access my course material?
    • The university utilizes a variety of platforms to deliver course content. All courses in the College of Public Health are available through Faculty members in other departments may choose to utilize other synchronous or asynchronous platforms to deliver content.
  • Who do I call if I have problems accessing my course materials?
    • Kent State University students have access to our popular KSU Support articles online, as well as live chat with an agent 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    •  Technical support agents are available by phone at 330.672.HELP (4357)
    • For more information, visit
  • Are proctors required for tests and examinations?
    • It is the discretion of the course instructor to determine if a proctor is needed for an examination.
  • Can students complete the Bachelor of Public Health and transition to a Master's Degree in Public Health Program?
    • Academically qualified students may apply to the Master's in Public Health (MPH) degree program.  Students are encouraged to complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and follow the admissions steps for the program. Students who wish to have graduate level coursework apply to their undergraduate record can meet with a College of Public Health Academic Advisor to review their options.
  • When I graduate am I able to attend the university commencement ceremony?
    • Absolutely! Students in the College of Public Health online programs are full members of the Kent State community. You will have all the rights, privileges and responsibilities of any other Kent State student. Graduates who complete their programs online receive the exact same diploma and transcript as our resident students. As such, online students and their families will have the opportunity to attend Kent State University's commencement activities to recognize this significant achievement.
  • How do I schedule an appointment?
    • Potential students can schedule an advising appointment either in-person or over the phone utilizing our web-scheduling system or by calling the College of Public Health at (330)672-6500. Appointments can be in person or by phone. Students should note when making the appointment via phone and call 330-672-6500 at appointment time.

Local Links

Utility Links

Quick Links

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.