The goal of health promotion and education is to enable people to achieve their optimal level of health by educating them and encouraging the adoption of healthy behaviors. Kent State offers a Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a Health Promotion and Education concentration that focuses on the social determinants of health behaviors, including:
- Drug use
- Physical activity
- Sexual activity
Classes in this degree program expose students to a wide variety of prevention approaches and community level strategies that are used to promote healthy behaviors. These strategies are most commonly implemented through media outlets, policy changes and education initiatives.
Students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a Health Promotion and Education concentration have the opportunity to work in:
- Social service agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Health clinics
- Government agencies
- Health centers
- University wellness/health programs
- Corporations/businesses with worksite health program
- Public health offices at the state and community level
Professionals in this field are responsible for helping people become educated on what it takes to live a healthy lifestyle. They create health plans that fit the needs of many different people, so they must be well-versed in the health needs of all different age and demographic groups.
Some of the main duties of health promotion and education professionals include:
- Helping organizations and communities become more healthy
- Developing strategic approaches to improving health
- Ensuring that local, regional and national health policies are sound
- Providing accurate information about peoples' health and how they can improve it
- Managing specific health-promoting projects
- Partnering with key people and organizations who can help influence public health
- Helping people develop the personal, emotional and social skills needed to live a healthy lifestyle
There are plenty of opportunities to make a difference in this dynamic field. If you're interested in pursuing career opportunities in health promotion and education, Kent State can help you prepare. Learn more about this industry and the many other public health careers available today.