May 7, 2013
NSF CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop
- Workshop web page
- To be held in the Kent Student Center, Room 310 AB
April 29, 2013
Annual Symposium on The Neuroscience of Mental Health
Event web site
- The symposium was held in the Kent Student Center, Kiva, on the Kent State University, Kent Campus. The event was free and open to the public.
- Featured keynote addresses by:
- Kevin Guskiewicz, Kenan Distinguished Professor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and
Randy Nelson, Distinguished Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences at The Ohio State University
April 22-23, 2013
April 23, 2013 (1:00 - 5:00 PM)
Panel Discussion on NIH Funding Programs
- The types of NIH grant programs (e.g., RO1, RO3, R15, R21)
- NIH requirements and proposal submission
- The process of collecting/organizing required information and preparation of proposal components
- Strategies for success
- Techniques for writing winning proposals: Project Summary and Project Description
- Avoiding common and fatal mistakes
- Review Criteria: intrinsic scientific significance, preparation of investigators, innovations, technical approach, and institutional environment, and impact on society
- Understanding reviewers' critiques and how to benefit from them
April 17, 2013
2nd Annual Symposium on Advances in Organic Photovoltaics
April 5, 2013
Regional Research Roundtable
- Event held at the Twinsburg Campus from 8:30 a.m - 4:30 p.m.
- Organized by the Kent State University Regional Campuses Research Committee which was formed to explore shared opportunities for research at the university's regional campuses and locations
- This one-day roundtable was held to facilitate communication among faculty at Kent State and its regional campuses to improve research, funding and collaboration.
March 20, 2013
Switch, a film about the future of energy will be playing in the Kiva on Monday March 18 and Wednesday March 20 at 7:15 p.m. This screening is free.
March 19, 2013
2013 Kent State University Outstanding Research and Scholarship AwardsEvent held at the Music and Speech Building to honor three Kent State University outstanding researchers and scholars. The 2013 award recipients are:
- Professor Michael Loderstedt, School of Art
- Professor Katherine Rawson, Department of Psychology
- Professor Carrie Schweitzer, Department of Geology, Kent State University at Stark
A welcome reception was held in the Roe Green Center Lobby in the Music and Speech Building at 5:15 p.m., followed by an awards ceremony at 6 p.m. in the Ludwig Recital Hall. A special performance by members of the Cleveland Orchestra and Kent State's Professor of Music Donna Lee took place at 6:30 p.m.
February 28, 2013
Human Performance Workshop: "New Frontiers in Human Performance"
Workshop home page
- The workshop was held at Kent State University, Kent Student Center, Room 204, from 12:30-6:00 PM.
- For more information, contact Dr. Michael Bloom ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The workshop provided a forum for participants to share critical paths in research, seek collaborators, and identify new frontiers in human performance.
- Supported by Case Western Reserve University and Kent State University.
- Workshop Flyer [PDF]
February 26, 2013
Corporate Research Forum - "From the Ground Up" - on the Detection and Prevention of Diabetic Foot Ailments
- An event summary will be posted soon.
Liquid Crystal Day 2012: "What's Beyond the Horizon"
- The Liquid Crystal Day, a biennial one-day symposium was held November 8, 2012 in the Kent State Student Center, Kent Campus. The event was free and open to the public.
- The symposium consisted of invited talks and contributed poster presentations.
- Industrial exhibitors included Kent Displays, Sigma-Aldrich, HANA Microdisplay Technologies, and AlphaMicron.
Seminar by Prof. George Whitesides, Harvard University, on October 9, 2012: "Simplicity as a Component of Invention"
- Seminar was held October 9, 2012 in the Kent Student Center, Kiva Auditorium. Whitesides Research Group home page
- Abstract: "Complexity" is relatively simple to think about (at least for academics); "simplicity" is more complex. This seminar will consider "simplicity" (together with an idea we call "stackability") as a parameter in research, using two examples--one from ongoing large-scale technology, and one from our own research.
- Related video: Professor Whitesides TED talk (Feb. 2010) on "Toward a Science of Simplicity"
Symposium on Flexible Liquid Crystal Devices
- Symposium was held September 26-27, 2012 in the Kent Student Center, Kiva Auditorium
- Symposium home page
Symposium on "Advances in Organic Photovoltaics" - Featuring a Keynote Presentation by Dr. Alan Heeger (2000 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry)
- Symposium was held April 17, 2012 at Kent State University, Kent Campus, Kiva Auditorium
- Symposium home page
2012 Outstanding Research and Scholarship Awards
Award recipients were announced on the Kent State University home page on March 26.
- The event (ceremony and reception) was held on March 28 at 5:30 PM in the Cartwright Hall lobby (atrium).
- Dr. John Harris, (Yale University) gave a public lecture "An Odyssey Through Our Universe" at 7 PM in the Cartwright Hall Auditorium following the Awards Ceremony. Both events were free and open to the public.
Celebration of Scholarship
Research Partnerships Forum
- "Collaboration with Rockwell Automation Advanced Technology Lab", February 15, 2011
- "The Hand Hygiene Gap", GOJO Industries, October 18, 2010
"Increasing Research Funding Productivity", a one-day presentation by noted funding expert and lecturer Marshall H. Kaplan, Ph.D. was held on January 9, 2013. See full program agenda [PDF].
- CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop, May 3, 2012
- NIH Workshop: "Ensuring Impact and Innovation in Your Proposal" -- Elizabeth Tornquist, August 15, 2011
- Introduction to Proposal Development in Coeus (multiple dates in Summer 2011)
- CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop, April 28, 2011
- Brown Bag Lunch Meeting: "Data Management Plan Requirement for Proposals by the National Science Foundation", April 29, 2011
- NIH Workshop -- Elizabeth Tornquist, December 6, 2010
- SBIR 101 Workshop, October 5, 2010
- CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop, May 13, 2010