New Hardware Recommendations
- Laptop: Minimum 2 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM and built-in wireless
- Desktop: Large, flat panel display and at least 4 GB of RAM with built-in wireless
- Mobile Devices: iOS, Android or Windows Phone
- Game Consoles: Must have wireless capability for getting online
- Printers: Wireless printing is not supported; buy a USB cable (from any retailer or The Tech Spot)
- Consider purchasing an extended 3-year hardware warranty
- Dell: Buy directly from Dell online.
- Apple: Buy directly from Apple's Education Store.
New Software Recommendations
- Windows 7
- Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
- All versions of Linux (with limited support)
- Antivirus software (such as Microsoft Security Essentials). Find more information about Virus/Spyware Protection.
- Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and Powerpoint): Available discounted at www.microsoft.com/students/discounts or through Kent State at http://kent.e-academy.com
- Other educational software discounts offered by E-Academy at http://support.kent.edu/software
- Laptop anti-theft software (Available at a discount through The Tech Spot)
- 802.11g compatible, dual-band wireless card
- Must be located in wireless zone on campus (all residence halls except Allerton Apartments)
Wired Connections (Allerton Only)
- Network Interface Card (Included in most computers)
- Ethernet Cable (RJ-45) (Not a phone cord; slightly larger): For sale at The Tech Spot
- Please view the instructions on using on these devices