Center for the Study of Information and Religion
Third Annual Conference on Information and Religion
The Social Construction of Religious Knowledge
June 19-22, 2013 ~ Charlotte, N.C.
Held in conjunction with the
American Theological Library Association (ATLA) Annual Conference
CSIR Keynote: Peter Ochs, Ph.D.
Edgar M. Bronfman Professor of Modern Judaic Studies, University of Virginia
Founding editor of the Journal of Scriptural Reasoning ( http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/journals/ssr/)
CSIR-related papers and posters will include original contributions in a variety of areas in which scholars are exploring the intersections of religion and information. Topics that might be addressed include but are not limited to the following:
- Defining and interpreting data and information in the understanding of religious knowledge;
- The role of sermons in the social construction of knowledge;
- The construction of shared knowledge between different faith traditions;
- The social contexts of religious knowledge;
- Preserving and making available religious texts and information objects associated with the construction of religious knowledge;
- Social uses and appropriations made of these texts and objects;
- Information in its application to clergy and congregations as communities of practice;
- Faith and many types of intelligence (e.g., emotional intelligence, intellectual capital, etc.);
- The application of academic theory in the understanding of religious knowledge;
- Intersections of interests in the study of information and religion, where different disciplines might find it worthwhile to collaborate in research.
Note: All presenters have been notified of acceptance status.
Presenters are responsible for their own expenses related to the conference, including but not limited to registration fees, lodging, transportation, and meals.
For more information, please contact Dr. Don Wicks ( firstname.lastname@example.org), Interim Director of SLIS and Director of CSIR, or Dr. Dan Roland ( email@example.com), CSIR Primary Researcher.
Additional details about the conference will be posted as they become available.